Do you think a lot of people use a TV as a babysitter?

I think for my Gen- (Im 21 now) our parents did a lot, which is why most of us are chubby or obease, and do nothing but play video games.
it makes me sad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It has gotten way worse with people in our age group doing it too .
    I mean people actually buy dvds to teach their kids for them instead of spending the time to teach them themselves.
    It is why america is fat.
    I for one wont let my kids be fat and I wont depend on TV to teach my children
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i hate when people do this! my daughter is only allowed about 1 hour of tv each day, and while shes watching it she is also playing, coloring or something like that.
    mommyBrooke849

Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 5:21 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I'm not going to lie. I put my son's favorite video on so he can watch it and I can have approx. 38 minutes to myself to get things done. If I didnt he would be getting into everything and I would never eat, cook, clean, do schoolwork, etc. He is still a baby, but I highly doubt he will "do nothing but play video games." He is already pretty active as a baby plus I will encourage him to play sports and whatnot.
    --And for the record, I'm your generation as well. I am not chubby and never played video games once. But I see where youre coming from.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 5:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• yes i believe a lot of ppl do. And for the most part, it has been proven that a lot of ppl do.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I agree with Adensmommy, first off I am from that generation too, I never even owned a video game system.
    I only watched about an hour of TV an evening, if that.

My DD, it will be same way.

Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 5:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I do sometimes. Especially when I'm trying to feed my almost 4 week old.
    kframpton

Answer by kframpton at 5:45 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• TV is NOT the only reason people are fat. Also because children aren't taught restraint (or they are restricted so much that when they finally get some junk, they go overboard). I can say this as an overweight woman. I know I'm overweight and my children are NOT going to be. They watch TV but not all the time. Maybe an hour a day. Or a movie. But NOT all day. If you can teach them moderation (which I personally believe is the most important thing to learn: moderation), then I think it will be fine.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 5:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I do and people can get over it!! lol. my son is 3 and is 35 pounds, (most of its in his Big noggin lol) and my 1 year old is 20 pounds.. im 130 and 4 month pregnant with twins and i watch tv ALOT and im not fat... (im 20). BUT on another side my 1 year olds father is 300 pounds..sits on his butt and watches tv and plays games sence he got layed off.. I dont, i hate games and i watch the food channel ( he HATES it..lol). My 3 year old his dad is 170 about 5 7 and im 5 2. some times its in the family to be big and other times it how much the family eats at once ( my bf hates that i make what i think he should eat, he leaves after dinner and goes to his cousins to eat more!!) Really nothing i can do ive tryed to keep him away from having to be put on pills but it his own fault if he has to be on them in 3 weeks at his next appointment. Some parents use it because theres nothing else to get there kids to do.
    SweetPea708

Answer by SweetPea708 at 6:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Supriseingly (sp?) my 3 year old does not eat meat and eats only green veggies..lol. ( he eats other things to but thats mainly what i can get him to eat) Now my one year old on the other hand is a damn garbage disposal.lol. figure that out..lol 3 year old who eats veggies 35 pounds and a 1 year old who eats Everything is only 20 pounds..lol
    SweetPea708

Answer by SweetPea708 at 6:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Sometimes. But I will openly admit I use toys as a babysitter. Since, I'm not playing with them 24/7, so they play on thier own.

My 4 year old has a tv in her room. She is allowed to watch 1 DVD per night before bed. Most of them are 30-45 minutes. She is 32 pounds and active. Her favorite thing in the world is playing outside. But it helps her relax to watch a movie at night before bed. She seems to sleep better and we don't have awful fights about going to bed.

My 2 year old will sit and watch a few minutes of a tv show, usually PBS. He is 23 pounds and his favorite thing to do is to run fast in the yard.

I don't think it's tv, its the lack of activity that makes kids fat.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 6:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2009