Does your child have autism? Or do you think your child may have autism?

I am worried that my youngest may be autistic because he has some signs of it. He is delayed in speech and we just started taking him to speech therapy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son has Aspergers. He was not delayed in speech; in fact, he was advanced for his age in that area. His earliest sings were senstitivites to noice, above and beyond what would be considered average.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:39 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I have an 11 year old with autism and he is doing well because we addressed his issues early on. Have you seen a developmental pediatrician, psychiatrist or neurologist? Does your son receive any other early intervention? You should really arm yourself with information--scour the library, contact your local Autism Society chapter, look up your state's early intervention program, support groups... Prepare to advocate for your son, he'll need you to be his voice!
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2009