How do I get my 14 month old to calm down and hold still during a diaper change?

My 14 month old DD will NOT hold still for me to change her diaper. She screams and flails and rolls over and squirms constantly. No diaper rash or anything....she just hates it. But it ends up taking twenty minutes of me fighting to get her to lay still enough to change the diaper and trying not to get poop everywhere. I try everything...entertaining her, singing, giving her a toy, a wipe, whatever....nothing works. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• haha.. I have to hold my son down a lot of times STILL at 21 months - although some days are easier but at that age I had to fight him each day everytime! now I can at least reason a little more with him or make "deals" with him.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Sounds like my girl. She thinks being held still is the worst possible punishment imaginable.

My doc says, if you can control the arms, the rest of the body will follow - so you can try holding them down with your leg. Or utilizing those straps on a changing table or pad.

Good luck, and just remind yourself how much your kid is going to be healthy since these wigglers are the type that loves sports and physical activities.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 6:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• my son is 16 m/o. he doesnt always squirm but often does! what I try to do is sing to him an old school sesame street song ( 1 to 10, and 10 to one) which he seems to like lol. he no longer gets distracted by toys, unless he holds one on his way to the changing table.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• First we started using toys to distract him. That didn't last long either. Then we moved onto books and that worked like a charm!
    jlhn21

Answer by jlhn21 at 6:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I used to have that problem with my son. I had finally had enough of it so I would try to change him and when he wouldn't let me, I didn't. I let him sit in what he had done for much longer than I normally would have. He got a little bit of diaper rash that was moderately painful for him, then he let me change him. The next time it came time to change his diaper after that rash was gone I reminded him of how he didn't like the diaper rash. That fixed it. I only had to do it two times.
    Eco-Mother

Answer by Eco-Mother at 8:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I count to 5 (and again for poopy diaper). It holds her attention. I think it has something to do with anticipation. I start slowly and quietly and escalate my voice with each number ....oooooooonnnnneeeeeee..............tttttttttwwwwwooooooooooooooo.....thhhhh-----uuuuu----reeeeeeee.....LOL
    jaysmommy007

Answer by jaysmommy007 at 10:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My son is almost 14 months old and we have been having the same problem. We came up with a few good solutions, they dont ALWAYS work but htey work often enough that im not spending ALL day at the changing table. We made a mobile for him and hung it above the changing table. It has airplanes onit, ds favorite. It is hanging fromt he ceiling and high enough up that he doeant try to reach for it. All I do is draw his atention to it and spin it. This usually keeps him occupied.

Other times I build up anticipation by saying im gonna get his belly. He giggles and usually lays somewhat still. This still takes longer than a normal diaper change but is at least less frustrating.
    JSWeible

Answer by JSWeible at 11:02 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My daughter was always like that, sometimes still is, but sometimes goes and gets the diaper for me and lays down with out me doing anything but tellign her to get the diaper. She's 16 months. One thing that seemed to help is letting her play with something, especially looking at a book, and she also enjoys throwing her dirty diapers away, when she goes and throws it away I clap and say good job, she loves it. So that seems to encourage her to hold still so it can get done, so she can throw away her diaper and get rewarded with the claps and good jobs (she even claps and says good job as well its so cute). So try those things and see if it helps. There have also been times with wet diapers anyway that i just let her stand while i change it. But no matter what there is still the occasional time she fights me, she wants to be running all the time.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 5:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2009