How much does an average adoption cost?

Specifically in California?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 5:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Adoption

• Foster care is the "cheapest" method of adoption. In most states, the state gives the child a subsidy until they are 18 since they were in foster care. I don't know enough about it though to give you accurate numbers. It also varies by state. Every state has different laws so it can be very difficult to adopt across state lines.
    Private/ open/closed- usually done through an agency or attorney... fees can range anywhere from $2K up to $20K... depends on the agency, state laws, attorney fees.
    International- anywhere from $10K-$45K. This will depend on the country fees, agency fees, and whether you have medical co-pays for physicals, whether your state requires county authentications, and gov't fees.
    We adopted internationally from China and our adoption was $26K. That was after paperwork, travel, and also renewals of INS paperwork that expired due to a long wait for a referral. After the tax credit, and benefits it was $4850.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:04 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• That varies dramatically. It's very inexpensive to adopt through the state foster care system. But it can cost 30k through a private agency or internationally.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 7:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Adopting through foster care or through your state's system is definitely low cost, and in most instances absolutely no cost. Private domestic adoptions are very expensive as are international adoptions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Adoptions can be especially expensive in California because of the amount of bmom expenses that you can end up paying.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• We adopted through foster care= Free. We are in the process of adopting our second. No clue about private adoption.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• my research has led me to believe that domestic or foreign, if you want a healthy baby, it cost around 10,000.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:50 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Amalia...

Damn, what agency did you look at? My research shows about $25k for a domestic adoption!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• mcginnisc... $2k for an adoption thru and attorney or agency? Thats CRAZY! A retainer for an attorney is more than that! I would love for your to post which agencies in Cali allow you to go through them for only $2K!! The homestudy costs more than that
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Anon 11:51- I'm not being specific. I have no idea about CA.. I live in GA. I am speaking in general terms... Like I said... it depends on your state, your method, etc....
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 2:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• We adopted in 2005 from OKC, OK and our cost with a quad A lawyer was just under 18k .. We spoke the our birth mom on a Thursday and our son was born that Sunday . We again adopted in 2008 from Cali and that adoption cost us 16k. Our Birth mom that time was a young teen mom who was living at home so she had almost no expenses. Now I will tell you that I have about the cutest children one would ever see but they are bi-racial (AA-Hisp) so they had a hard time finding people who wanted to adopt them! Also remember that there is a tax credit that you get to take once the adoption is final so that "gives you back" 11k.....
    AmyJo34

Answer by AmyJo34 at 7:23 PM on Aug. 25, 2009