As time goes by, will my nipples still get sore if they baby doesn't have as good a latch?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, my son never quite learned how to latch on correctly, and after a month of cringing every time he needed to eat, I gave up and started to formula feed. If your baby isn't latching correctly, and you want to continue to breastfeed, consult a lactation coach!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• yep.

a bad latch is the main reason for sore nipples. #3 was agony for me - small mouth big nipples. but as soon as we figured it out nipples didn't hurt anymore.

see a lactation consultant.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• yes and mine even cracked and would bleed. Thank goodness we got the hang of it after a couple of days. i think the bleeding was from not properly unlatching though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Probably. I have flat nipples, so we were never able to get that good, deep latch, and sometimes they would get sore, but for the most part, they were fine.

A LC can help you if you think you have a bad latch.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 7:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2009