6 yr old "can't control his impulses" at school...

according to his teacher. He had the same issue in Kindergarten. He doesn't seem to have this problem at home. Since we don't see the behavior it seems impossible to stop it! We lecture him, take toys away, tried positive reinforcement, nothing works.... how in the world do you teach a 6yr old to control his impulses??

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 6:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son was the same exact way!!! And he still is, I have found that jogging with him before school was the only way to help him outy he has extra energy and I also when I do not have time, bought a miniture trampoline and put him on it before school that way he gets to realease his morning energy
    CrystalPmom2

Answer by CrystalPmom2 at 6:12 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• What kinds of impulses? Mine had trouble controlling anger, and trying to find answers to that is what lead to a diagnosis of Aspergers.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• **OP**
    No, he's not angry/violent at all. He talks too much, touches the other kids in line, can't sit still, gets silly....it's nothing terrible but disrupts the class. He's also the brightest kid in his class so I'm thinking maybe he's bored.
    School just started last week and we're getting the EXACT same reports as we did last year from his teacher. He is genuinely remorseful for his behavior when he gets home - even offers punishments he thinks might help him learn his lesson! - but it's the same thing day in/day out...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 6:21 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Do you think he maybe has a case of mild ADD?? Or you could be right maybe he's just bored. But with the excessive talking, being unable to sit still and can't control touching other kids would be a red flag to me.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• **OP**
    I don't think it's ADD or ADHD because he doesn't act this way anywhere else - just at school.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 6:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• impulse control of that nature is a sign of adhd. talk to your doctor
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 7:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My son, 7, has that problem sometimes, both at school and at home. We've come up with a system that may or may not work for you: he has to put a "lid" on his silliness and impulses. When he gets home, he gets to go outside and let his "lid" off for 15 minutes. He can run around the yard, scream, yell, swing, do whatever he wants for those 15 minutes. Then he has to put his "lid" back on, come inside and either focus on homework, or we get in the van and go to his sister's TaeKwonDo class. He knows he has to put his "lid" on tight when he's in class, in line, or in the lunch room, but can take his "lid" off at recess and "loosen" it (or take it completely off, depending on the activity) during P.E.
    It's been very effective, and he makes a big deal of making the motions of "screwing on his lid" when told to. His teachers will tell him to tighten his lid if he gets to rowdy during class, even. It works great!
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 7:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• What you are describing is a sign of ADD/ADHD. It may show more at school because he is expected to sit still and concentrate for long periods of time, which doesn't happen much at home. He may have just the attention part of it and not the hyperactivity. My son was like that and was finally diagnosised at 10 yrs old, we went through 3 years of torture with his teachers saying the same thing; he was impulsive, silly and couldn't concentrate. I would have him tested just to, if anything, rule out ADD/ADHD.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• It could be ADD/ADHD.. school gets VERY boring at times especially when you can't move around and do as you please. Don't rule it out just because it only happens at school. Talk to his pediatrician about it.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I'm worried about the same thing for my kindergartener. He is silly, hyper, unruly sometimes at home. He just started school today. He did good being the first day but if he starts acting the same way at school I think I might see if he needs meds. I always said I never would do that but if he needs it then I'm gonna do what's best. I hope you get some answers.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:31 AM on Aug. 25, 2009