When should i start giving my son rice in his formula?..he is 2 months now

JoshysMomma19

Asked by JoshysMomma19 at 6:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Between 4 and 6 months. Check with your pediatrician.
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 6:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• you shouldnt give in in a bottle unless the dr says so for reflux. it should be fed my spoon if the baby will not take it by spoon they are too young for it.

2 months is VERY young to be given cereal.... what has his pediatrician said about it?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Between four and six months, on a spoon. never in the bottle unless directed by your doc for reflux.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Why would your 2 month old son need rice cereal at such a young age?? I'd wait till 6 months to give him anything like that!
    GinaPetty

Answer by GinaPetty at 6:30 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i did at 2 months for reflux, he spit up horribly
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 7:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• 6 months, but in a bowl not a bottle. They make a formula for reflux now so its not necessary to add cereal anymore.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 10:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Never, cereal should never be given in the bottle. My son was 2 weeks old when the doc had me give him cereal on a spoon because he was drinking 10-12 oz every 2 1/2 hours. It all depends on what your child can handle and what your doctor believes and feels is ok. All babies respond to food differently.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Never. Cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard.

Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 11:00 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Thank you all..i understand the whole thing about him being to young and his ped said he would recommend 2 months but he is eating so much...like 6-12 ounces every couple hours all he does is eat and we are trying to see what is happening we dont know if he is not getting full or what it is..but this is the last formula i can give him he rejected all the other ones...he would spit up, not sleep thru the night and have horrible stomach aches..i planned on waiting til 4 months to start and kind of food but i dont know what to do to fill him up more...so he isnt always hungry...i mean he is almost 13 pounds at 2 months he is getting plenty but he feeds so often?
    JoshysMomma19

Answer by JoshysMomma19 at 12:22 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Never! Cerial in a bottle is not only a choking hazzard but it expands the stomach to soon! And causes over eating later in life. If you want to give him cerial do it by spoon, never in the bottle. Because by spoon he will feel full between bites and stop eating. In a bottle he will drink it down to fast, not feel full til it's gone and over eat. Which is what expands the stomach. My son was 9lbs+ at birth. So I understand big boys and how much they eat. I nursed every half hour for 45mins at a time and then he would still want a bottle once I was dry... But I NEVER gave cerial til he was 6 months old. It's not any good for them and can cause lots of issues down the road.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:10 AM on Aug. 25, 2009