Pros and cons of breast feeding??

I know there are lots of benefits to breast feeding but I rarely hear the cons? So to mothers who have done both what do you prefer and what are some pros and cons?

AmyOmommy

Asked by AmyOmommy at 6:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• cons.... i guess, bottle feeding formula is better so that dad and other can feed baby, but you can always pump and give baby a bottle.
    it may be a little harder to BF if you are working.. but you can also just pump....

Hm, I CANT THINK OF ANY CONS! HAHA
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• there are no cons...
    dorie84

Answer by dorie84 at 6:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• There aren't many cons to breastfeeding that don't have a simple solution. It is a little harder getting started at first, because giving a bottle before breastfeeding is well established (meaning it's like second nature to you) is a bad idea. But after about the first 6 weeks it is SOOO easy... you never have to pack formula and bottles and water and warmers or anything and it's always the perfect temperature.... if you cosleep you don't even have to get up to feed the baby in the middle of the night!

I wish you luck in your decision! Just know that breastmilk is ALWAYS best for baby, even when it's not the most convenient for mom.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• The only "pros" to formula feeding are in the interest of the mother. The cons fall at the health of the baby.

The pros to breastfeeding are good for momma and baby.
    the only "con" i can think of is that it can be difficult to start breastfeeding for some babies/woman.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Cons to breastfeeding?

Hmmm.

Oh, I know.

God gave men nipples but didn't activate the rest of the plumbing. Therefore men can't help.

Seriously, the cons are in the eye of the beholder. If you like to drink a LOT...you can't. But then again if you love alcohol that much you need to re-think the whole mom gig.

You might not sleep much. But that's also a "perk" of parenting.

You may experience pain in nursing. That's probably the biggest "con" I can think of.

You can't tell how much baby is getting when it goes IN...you have to count on what comes OUT.

It's not easy. Well, nothing worth doing is.

I'll be interested to see what other moms come up with. And I probably will have some responses for them. Buckle up...it's gonna be a bumpy ride!

Answer by gdiamante at 6:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I have 3 and breast fed 2 out of the 3 so I am familiar with both. There are so many benefits from BFing. You never have to heat it up or worry about sterilizing bottles, you lose weight like crazy, it's convenient, you have amazing bonding time with your child and the health benefits exceed anything. So if you can I would say do it or at least try.

The cons in my opinion are that I always felt like I had my kids latched 24/7 and my Husband couldn't really help since they didn't take a bottle well. And I am very modest so I always wanted to be very covered or would go into a restroom to feed and sometimes in public FOR ME it's just wasn't ALWAYS convenient.

mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 6:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I have breastfed 2 babies now and will breastfeed my third. Even so It's not something I really enjoy, I just do it because it's cheaper and healthier.
    I would say the cons are, being tied down to the baby all the time. Being exhausted and no one else can get up with the baby in the middle of the night, or even the day if you really want to take a nap. If I could get a baby that would take a bottle I don't think I would feel quite so negatively about it. After my first would never take a bottle I was so determined to get my second to take one that I decided to offer her one within the first few days. Didn't work. I dont know if I don't know how to give a bottle or what. I also struggle with pumping to the point that I gave up and will never try again.
    Another con is it can be painful, especially at first.
    There really aren't any other cons though. It's cheap, it's effortless once you get the hang of it, and it's heathy.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 6:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i have never breastfeed any of my 3 kids, but want to with the one i am currently pregnant with. i have been researching this a lot so the cons i have found are that your nipples might get really sore and that it might take a few days for baby to be able to latch on correctly. you may not be able to pump so only you would be feeding baby.

idk i have more cons with bottle feeding. its so expensive and i hated packing bottles and formula going someplace and making sure water was warm enough.
    jennalms

Answer by jennalms at 6:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• my nipples never got sore and my boobs never got engorged but i have a great supyp
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:54 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• middle of night, bassinet at end of bed, nothing beats breast feeding, it is ready, you feed baby and back to bassinet, you can get used to night feedings and get back to sleep alot easier than going to kitchen making bottle, and then baby is more awake and has harder time going back to sleep

this reason alone=more sleep, gets my vote for the breast over bottle

and i really liked it, i did not make any decisions on breast feeding, i knew i was going to try, but becuae i never did before how the hell was i suppose to know how long i was going to until i did, well we did for 7 months and it worked for us
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 7:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2009