How much would you pay for a baby?

My hubby and I are having an IUI done tomorrow and it got me thinking about how much we'll invest in trying to get pregnant. We've been trying for 13 months now, and will be shelling out $200 a month for IUIs. It's suggested that you do 3-4 on Clomid and then 3-4 on injections before possibly moving on to IVF, which costs $5,000+

We already have one child, so I don't know how much we'd invest in having another. Surely the IUI, but I don't know that we'd move on to IVF.

What about you? If you couldn't seem to get pregnant, how much would you spend?

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 6:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I did IUI twice with injections, and that cost over $5,000 each time because I had to use the highest dose of injectible meds. Since Clomid is an option for you I doubt you'd have to resort to high doses on injectibles, so you wouldn't have to spend that much on drugs. We were willing to try one more round of IUI w/ injectibles; we wouldn't have moved on to IVF, but it wasn't the cost that was the issue for us. I think we would have been willing to spend up to $100,000 if we thought it would work, but we were planning to move on to adoption after 3 rounds of IUI w/ injectibles.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• We did IUI countless times (seriously...I lost count) and IVF three times before we finally gave up and decided on adoption. For us, IVF was $12K a pop, including medications. All in all, I'd say we had to have been pushing $100K on fertility testing and treatments (our insurance paid NOTHING). Adoption, with all fees including medical (born 9 weeks early), cost us just shy of $30K. We still have 2 embryos frozen that we pay $300 a year to keep them nice and safe.

Obviously money didn't matter to us. Well, more money didn't matter to ME. I wanted to be a mom so bad that I was just about willing to do anything. You'd think we were rich, but that is so not the case...we just had a lot of money on credit cards!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• If I had it to do all over again, I'd go straight to IVF and not mess around with IUI. I'd also go straight to one of the top clinics instead of messing around with the mediocre local one. I wasted over a year locally on IUI and mistimed IVF with all sorts of injectible meds. First full IVF cycle at NYU resulted in my twins.

IUI has only a 20-25% chance in any given cycle. At a really good clinic, depending on your infertility issue and age, one IVF could have a 40-55% chance of success. You'd double, maybe triple your odds.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2009