Would you allow this in your home?

My 12 y/o Sd got an Iphone for her birthday, and I was looking through it the other day and found she had some inappropriate apps on it. There were cosmo sex quizzes on it along with some girls texting her and talking about "sexting" a boy she likes. She also made a myspace and Facebook account with it.
I admit I ratted her out and told her dad, and he talked to her and told her she had to erase all of those by tonight, she lied and said she did but hasn't, because I double checked. She knows she was not allowed to have a Myspace and Facebook before, I think this allows her to be sneaky
I honestly do not think a Iphone is very good for a 12 year old girl. What do you think? Should I just stay out of this one and leave it to her dad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, grandma probably didn't think about it like that, she probably thought it was a nice gift. But none the less, you definately need to say something to dad. That phone needs to be taken away.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 6:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Iphone doesnt realy have anything to do with it, if she is lying and hiding things from her parents, she shouldnt be allowed to have any cell phone... IMHO
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I don't allow cell phones for the pre-teen or teens, period. And, IMO, an I-phone is way too expensive for a 12 year old to have and it obviously has already caused problems. I think you should stay on top on it and make sure your husband does too. If these things are already happening at 12, imagine what could happen later if she isn't reeled back now!

Good Luck, Momma!

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I second the first post.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Yeah, I don't think it's a good thing for a child that age to have unsupervised access to the internet.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 6:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• You or your Husband shouldn't have got her an Iphone in the first place. She's 12 for God sake a regular cell phone that you could monitor would be just fine in my opinion. She shouldn't have access to the Internet unless it's under your supervision.

mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 6:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• 12?!?!

iphones are EXPENSIVE

and NO, no child should have that
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• yeah I would take it away as a punishment for lying and everything and then think twice about giving it back anyway. the most she should have if anything is a cheap prepaid phone in case she needs to call from school or a friends house for something one day. instead of an iphone maybe her dad should take her to get birth control and condoms
    charrenee

Answer by charrenee at 6:41 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I agree a 12 yr old really doesn't need an Iphone. A regular cell phone maybe but one without all the bells and whistles unless they can be trusted which obviously, this girl can't be. i would suggest to her father that he create a rule that he must be able to have access to her phone at all times, just to make sure she is not getting into trouble with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Op here: Good I am not the only one that thinks 12 is too young for a Iphone, believe it or not it was Grandma that got her this gift!
    Anonymous