Any advice on how to transition a 2 year old from his crib to a twin size bed?

We recently purchased twin size bunk beds for my son who turned two on the 11th of August. We are trying to transition him out of the crib and into the new bed because I am due in about 8 weeks with another boy. Any suggestions? So far we haven't been very successful with getting him excited about sleeping in there even though we have moved all his comfort things into his new room (binky, blankie, pillow, nightlights, stars, music).

jlhn21

Asked by jlhn21 at 6:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I pushed the bed against the wall, and moved the crib next to the bed, from the top of the bed where my son slept, so that he would see the crib bars and still feel that he was in the crib- the familiar feeling of the crib. In time, he got used to climbing out near the foot of the bed, where the crib didn't reach, and I was able to remove the crib from the room.

Answer by Bmat at 6:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• We switched our daughter from her crib to a toddler bed about 2-1/2 months before she turned 3 and there was no transition...we just did it. We sent her to stay with DH's parents for several hours and we took everything baby out and put all new toddler in. We also did little things like changed the wall border and added wall stick-ons where there wasn't anything before. I went to a party store and bought a bunch of helium balloons and scattered them around her floor. Then, when she got back home, we took her to her room and she absolutely LOVED IT! She's had her new room for 9 months now and we've not really had any problems with her sleeping in her bed, she just does.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Take down the crib and put it in the garage or basement. Somewhere he can't see it.

Stick with the normal routine, just put him to bed in his new bed.

Start with a nap, so it's not pitch black for his first sleep.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I dont think it is a good idea to "transition" IMO I think it is much easier to just put him in the bed and take the crib away. My girls didnt have any issues moving into the new bed, but it might be tougher with a twin size bed. I used toddler beds and they LOVE them! Like any other changes just let them feel it out and take their time. As long as you stick with it, he will too! Good Luck!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 7:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I went from the crib to the toddler bed with my son, and I told him it was his getting bigger bed. Then when it was time to go to a twin size bed, I did it one day while he was at daycare and took the other bed completely out. It was all made and ready to sleep in when he got home that day. When I picked him up from daycare, I told him I had a big boy surprise for him. His BIG BOY bed was a reward for him getting so big and so strong and being good( most of the time) and he just loved it.
    Eco-Mother

Answer by Eco-Mother at 8:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My daughter will be two in Dec. and I have an 8 week old son so we got a toddler bed 5 weeks ago and last night was her first time sleeping in it. At first she wanted nothing to do with it so i bought some Tinkerbell sheets and comforter and let her watch the movie and it worked. Before that I tried reading to her, and laying with her and each time I left the room she would get up and come to my room crying, and as soon as I put her down in the crib she would fall asleep right away. Is your son into any particular cartoon character? She really seems to like the idea of having Tink in the bed with her and she also HAS TO HAVE her passy. Good luck.
    LolaD

Answer by LolaD at 11:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I switched my daughter from crib to toddler bed just about a month ago so about 15 months old because she climbed and fell from her crib, she enjoys her toddler bed a lot more than the crib, she hated her crib. She likes that she can get in and out of it herself. What i'd do if your son enjoyed his crib is to have the new bed against the wall, even in a corner so two sides are against the wall, then you can get a thing at walmart that you can attach to the other side of the bed so he doesnt roll out if you are worried about that and he can feel more secure. you can tell him hes a big boy, maybe even let him pick out the new sheets or something new for his bed. Keep a good routine, brush teeth, get in bed, play music and read, then lights out, you can even sit bedside while he falls asleep if you have to, my daughter loved the transition but I still did all these things cause she still doesn't like falling asleep on her own.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 5:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2009