Can moms that breastfeed have a glass of wine?

HomeSuccess09

Asked by HomeSuccess09 at 6:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in About CafeMom

• "The American Academy of Pediatrics has approved the use of alcohol in breastfeeding mothers. Alcohol does pass into breastmilk more readily than some other drugs, but unless you drink several drinks or more a day, every day, then there should be no problem."

and there is a lot more information at : http://breastfeedingbasics.com/html/ask/wine.shtml

including that if you want to be conservative wait 1-3 hours after a glass of wine.

Answer by Bmat at 6:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• yes
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Yep :) I do on a semi-regular basis. I wait until bedtime and nurse my daughter to sleep then have my wine before she wakes up to nurse again. Not enough alcohol crosses intot he breastmilk from one glass of wine to hurt the baby. Don't go crazy, though.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:41 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• *goes crazy*

i sure as hell hope so!

i'm excited for that glass of wine after the baby is born....

the question is- can we have redbull and vodka?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• if you do, you should just pump out a few bottles until you think it is cleared out of the milk. I think Walgreen's or other stores have breast milk testers that you can test the milk on and see if all the alcohol is out and it is save

charrenee

Answer by charrenee at 6:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• actually charrenee, according to that link that was provided there is no reason to "pump it out".
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:54 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• yeah pump and dump is not the right thing to do. until you "Think"... not very reliable.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My LC and pediatrician and OB told me that as long as you don't feel any of the effects of the alcohol, you do not need to pump and dump...that means that I could have 1 1/2 glasses every day. as my milk started to wane, I started to drink heinikin (sp?) to keep my supply up and still did not have to dump.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• yep.. i was always cautious and pumped and dumped.. but usually if im drinikg even when iw as bf'ing the kids were with my mother.. so they supplemented
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 7:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2009