Do you let your LO's stay home from school when they are sick with a cold?

Or do you send them to school anyways?

My mom always sent us to school unless we had a fever or were throwing up. But i think she did that mostly because she was a single mom of 4 and was trying to go to school full time and work part time. She couldn't afford to waste a day staying home.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 6:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Fever or vomiting -- def. stay home. I go by the general behavior most of the time. And what's going around. Generally, I need to go to work so we REALLY try not to get sick.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:39 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I use two rules, fever and how they are behaving. If they are so droopy they aren't going to be able to function then I will let them stay home.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Fever or throwing up are the sick requirements in my house, and if he does stay home, he is in bed for the entire day, only books or tv no video games or computer. The cold probably came from all the school germs anyway!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 7:05 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• If they have a stuffy nose I usually don't keep them home but a fever, tummy ache, cough, runny nose or vomiting I always do without a doubt. I don't just do it for my kids but also out of respect for other children's kids. Also if they have a lower immune system because of some type of bug I would hate for them to go to school and catch something else on top of it.

mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 7:05 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My daughter is only 3 and in preschool. She attended last year also and the school's rule was they should stay home if vomiting or fever and if they vomited at school, automatically they had to go home.

I would send her if she had a simple cold. If she coughed a little and had a bit of a runny nose, sure I'd send her because every other kid in the class had the same thing. However, if she just didn't feel well period, I'd keep her home.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:05 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I meant for other people's children, Sorry......
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 7:06 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I know how miserable I AM when I have a bad cold so if my daughter is feeling the sae way I do she can stay home. A good day of rest usually helps! It's hard to fake a cold so I will be able to tell if she really isn't feeling well.

I get so pisse when I go to pick my daughter up from school and there is some wicked drippy nose, sneezy, germy kid coughing all over her. If your kid can't keep the boogies in keep him home. Or atleast teach him how to blow them and wash up after. I understand my kids will get sick and school is a germ fest but sometimes it's just rediculous.
    minimommy816

Answer by minimommy816 at 7:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• It depends on how 'sick' they appear/act and what the symptoms are. If they seem to really be sick (and not faking) and have actual cold symptoms, or have a fever or are throwing up then they stay home.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Only if he has green mucus or a fever; because then the school wont' take him. But not for a runny nose or a cough. He knows how to cover his mouth.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 9:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• It depends on how he feels. If he is lethargic and miserable, I will keep him home, fever or no fever. If he is coughing so hard or much that it is distracting, I will also keep him home. He normally doesn't get many colds, but he does suffer from migraine-type headaches and that keeps him home.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:00 PM on Aug. 24, 2009