I need advice..my doctor hasnt returned call

My almost 3 month old son is a big boy 15lbs and 26 inches long and ALWAYS hungry! He never has had a problem with latching on while nursing but now he gets so frustrated as if the milk isn't coming out fast enough. I am still producing. I used to give him formula maybe a few times a week but took a week break away from it. Now he hates formula and my milk isn't keeping up with his apetite. I tried 4 different kinds of formula.. he gags and pushes the bottle away.
I hear some people start their babies early on cereal, I tried calling my doc but he is the worst with call backs. Can I start maybe incorporating cereal once or twice a day off-setting what i can't produce in milk?
No bashing, I am a new mom and going through the learning curve right now.

Thanks!

Fallon_Long

Asked by Fallon_Long at 6:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Actually, the best thing to do is keep nursing on demand. If you supplement your milk supply will NOT increase, but your milk will increase according to the demand baby puts out. So yes, during growth spurts (and 3 months sounds about right) you have a couple fussy days while your milk catches up to baby's need. Hang in there mom, it will be OK.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 6:54 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I introduced cereal at 4 months. I really don't see why you couldn't try it. Especially with your little one's appetite. Try to wait for the doctor to call you back and if he doesn't you can always call a nurse's hotline. =)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I have 3 boys and i gave my first son rice ceral at 15lbs. I think if your son tolerates the rice cereal there is no need to worry. Give it to him. You are right, he probably is not getting satisfied with just breastmilk anymore. Give him a little bit at a time and see how he tolerates it. then try a little more. Keep increasing it each day. I think it will be fine. my second child i gave cereal by 4mo. and he lived. lol. MY 3rd son was on my breast ever 11/2 hrs. so he got enough on my breasts. I wouldn't stress too much. I know there is so many different ideas on when to start baby cereal, but i think it all depends on the individual baby. No one person is the same.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• to up your supply you should try Mothers Milk tea and eat oatmeal(even oats that r in granola bars). Oatmeal worked really fast for me. Here is a link full of more ideas for helping u to up your supply http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html#increase

here is a link on solids and the breastfeed baby http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html#reasons
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:58 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Welcomer to the three month growth spurt. Put him to breast,leave him there and don't worry about his fussing. He's putting in an order for more, that's all...and babies are pretty demanding customers.

Just put him to breast. It would be shocking if he DIDN'T behjave this way at this age. Relax. You're doing fine and don't need to do anything else.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Thank you both for your advice!
    Fallon_Long

Answer by Fallon_Long at 7:00 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• giving solids to early has been linked to allergies, obesity, IBS and chrones disease. so sure a child may be fine now, but what about when they are adults?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:02 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• 3 months is pretty young
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• He's not going to get nearly the calories that he needs by giving him cereal. He will fill up in the short term, but need more calories later when it's digested.

If you want to start cereal in a bowl, that's up to you...but once solids are started, and until they start table foods, there isn't supposed to be any drop in formula or breastmilk consumption at all.

I'm guessing growth spurt.

Oh...and giving solids to early does not lead to obesity. Not eating properly, not exercising, etc as an adult is what leads to obesity.

And FYI for those who stick to the "don't start to early"...starting after 6 months has also been linked to all those things you keep bringing up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• too young for the rice cereal. babies are fussy, especially at this time, just be patient, keep offering the breast milk then the formula, I urge you to stick with just breast milk/ formula AT LEAST for a couple more months.
    trl30

Answer by trl30 at 7:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2009