3 hour glucose tolerance test instructions question

i got my instructions in the mail from the doctor

it says this

1. you are to eat 1 candy bar each day for 2 days prior to this test.

2. you cannot have anything to eat or drink after midnight from the night before the test

does number 1 mean that i'm ONLY supposed to eat a candy bar a day for two days and nothing else?

anyone who has done this know? my doctors office is closed, i'll probably have to call though, that sounds too outrageous

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 7:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I liked the nasty drink lol! Tasted like rediculously sugary orange soda! Could have tasted like ass lol!
    minimommy816

Answer by minimommy816 at 7:12 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• The only thing my doctor said was that I couldn't eat anything after midnight the night before. I've never heard of the candy bar thing. Some doctors say you can eat normally before the test though, so I don't know.
    militarywife976

Answer by militarywife976 at 7:07 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• It sounds like your doctor is trying to get you to sway the test towards a pass. Sounds fishy to me...kinda like an athlete will not drink water for a day and sit in a sauna to lose enough weight to pass the limit on his sport. you should eat normal prior to the test. If you falsely pass the test and then end up with gestational diabetes later, it could mean health hazards to your baby.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:07 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• probably not, it probably just means to eat one during both days. but i never got any instructions, they just told me I can't have anything to eat or drink but water that morning before the test and then you have 5 mins to drink that nasty drink when you get there!

charrenee

Answer by charrenee at 7:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• and this is for the three hour test- which is the second test- i already took the one hour test and did badly
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I had to do 3 hour...it SUCKED :( I couldn't eat after midnight...that was it. No candy bar rules. Good luck to you
    minimommy816

Answer by minimommy816 at 7:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• "and this is for the three hour test- which is the second test- i already took the one hour test and did badly "

Then it sounds like your doc is trying to trick your body into giving a passed test result. that means if you pass, you could really have GD...the side effects of this on the baby can be With this condition, the pancreas is overworked. It’s trying to produce enough insulin, but is unsuccessful, causing glucose levels to rise sharply. The extra sugars go to the baby through the placenta, resulting in high blood glucose levels for the baby. In turn, the baby’s pancreas is now working feverishly to get rid of the extra blood glucose. The extra sugars that cannot be worked off turn into fat. And according to the ADA, this leads to macrosomia, or in common terms, a "fat" baby.

Fat babies may injure their shoulders during delivery, have very low blood glucose, a higher risk of breathing problems, and may be at risk
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• jademom i am royally confused as to what you are trying to say. i understand the effects of gestational diabetes, but what is this about trickery?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• if you eat certain foods prior to the test it can force your body to process sugar differently than it normally would so when you take the test, it will not be a true identification of what your body does on a normal basis.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• so you're talking about eating candy bars?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:21 PM on Aug. 24, 2009