• In the Spotlight:

Do you take your 1 year old trick or treating?

My husband says I should take my -- going to be 14 month old at Halloween -- trick or treating. I'd only go to a couple houses but still, wouldn't the people think it's weird?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes but we don't collect candy. We dress the kids up and walk along with older children who are far more experienced in the art of trick or treating! My daughter turned 2 in May and this is the first year we might even go to a few doors! My son on the other hand will just have to chill in the wagon and look cute!
    lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 7:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• no, i took mine but we were with a group of our friends with different age kids too. some people take their babies dressed up to the door too
    charrenee

Answer by charrenee at 7:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i started my kids the frist year they were born they were 7 -ans 8 months. to me halloween is a holiday we love to celebrate. i dressed them up and a jacket and if it is realy cold ill have a blanket handy
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 7:58 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• yes he was 7 months old, he was a bumblebee and we did go to the door and get candy... Mommy and daddy ate the candy... hehe
    ZachsMom325

Answer by ZachsMom325 at 8:00 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I just took my guy to the library when he was 13/14 months. They had a costume parade up and down the main library after a special story time and all the kids got a bag of candy at the end of the parade, just a couple of things like a snack pack of oreos and an individually wrapped twizzler plus a few stickers. When he was 2 and 3 we just went to the mall for trick and treating and will probably do that again. Our neighborhood doesn't really participate; I've had one ring at the door in the 5 years we've lived here and I was home alone with a nursing infant when that happened so I couldn't answer anyway.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Well, my daughter will only be 15 months old, so I will maybe take her a couple houses, take some pics and then go home. We will spend the rest of the night giving out candy. I can't wait. I am going to dress up too. I think my daughter will really love it. . . .. the dogs barking every time the doorbell rings will be interesting though.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My dd will be about 16 months old at Halloween, and I plan to take her trick or treating at the local mall. The various stores hand out little treats to babies/tots. She's usually in bed by 7:30pm, so we'll go at 5:30pm.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I don't take my son trick or treating at all but for a number of reasons. It's not a bad thing, and I don't make it out to be that way. First of all, everything in my house is either sugar free or sweetened with Splenda so the extra sugar would send him through the roof since he isn't used to having sugar. Second of all, we give out treats, because I want him to realize that it's fun to give as well as receive. Third, we celebrate Samhain, so the giving of treats and such has a different meaning for us. I get completely disgusted when I see tweens and teens hitting houses on Halloween with no costume except messed up hair and a just hold out a pillowcase. They aren't there for the fun, they are there on the "gimme gimme gimme" concept, and I loathe that.
    Eco-Mother

Answer by Eco-Mother at 8:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i did but we go as a group and i have older kids
    SnowWhieQueen

Answer by SnowWhieQueen at 9:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I did last year, and nobody thought it was weird.

Though we just went to neighbors and friends that really wanted to see her dressed up just to gush over her.

On neighbor even had a big pack of goldfish crackers especially purchased for my daughter - so sweet.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2009