Are blackouts/loss of awareness common in pregnancy?

I have recently experienced my very first total blackout a couple days ago. I'm not sure what the exact cause was due to the fact that it only lasted like a minute or so and then I was perfectly fine when I re-gained my awareness. Could it just simply be lack of hydration mixed with heat? Or does pregnancy trigger a change in your sensory? I don't have a history of blackouts and I have been pregnant before. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Health

• I haven't had complete blackouts, but I have felt so dizzy that I've fallen during pregnancy. One of the culprits was dehydration-- I had been drinking an herbal tea to stem the nausea. It acted as a diuretic. Once I stopped that, I was much better. I had extreme fatigue later on as well, which was attributed to low iron-- I was taking prenatal vitamins that did not contain any iron. I still don't take any iron in my vitamin, but I make sure to eat spinach or other veggies that contain more of it. That has helped a lot.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 7:58 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I blacked out at about 18 weeks. Dr said it was just the baby sitting on my vena cava artery then moving, thus causing me to black out. still get your blood work done.
    AshlieTolliver

Answer by AshlieTolliver at 7:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Please call your doctor this is no normal! At least to see what they say and to make them aware.
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 8:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2009