We feel a little out of place at our son's new school.

My son started public pre-k this year because of his speech delays. We were obviously very happy that he has been accepted into this pre-k program and will be receiving speech therapy. When we arrived at his school it was a very nice facility and the teachers seem wonderful;however, we feel a little out of place. The entire school is hispanic students and my son is the only white student attending. He has blondish hair and blue eyes. We don't mind the high population of hispanics as a matter of fact, we love hispanic people! We are just feeling a little out of place. Some the other parents have shot me dirty looks and I just don't want my son to feel out of place. He said he had a good first day of school and seems okay with it all. I guess my question is...how "aware" are children of race at the age of four??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• They don't really notice race. They do notice that kids are different, like she has blond hair, he's brown (my - as of today kindergartners - word for everyone whose skin tone is darker than his -- and he's a pale child so its a wide range). But they generally don't know about "race" etc. and little kids could really care less in terms of interacting/playing etc.

I'd generally relax and ignore and give it time. Sometimes those "looks" are almost defensive. I do know what you are talking about though b/c although I'm latina I look "gringa" so I've seen them.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:45 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• At age 4, they notice, but they react to it the way they're taught to react to it.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 8:02 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• They don't notice it at 4 yrs old. The hatred is a learned behavior from parents, not something you are born with.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• They notice that the kids are "diffrent" from him but that's usually about it. You'll be amazed at how many friends he makes in PreK. He'll be fine.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 9:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Kids aren't aware of "Race" until they are way older (and have been taught) at this point he will only react to it if you react to it in front of him.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• idk.... hispanic people are a wide variety of colors (for skin, eyes, hair, everything). there must be someone who looks like yall lol. but no, i really don't think kids care unless the parents make a big deal out of it in one way or another.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:23 AM on Aug. 25, 2009