Blood sugar readings...what's "normal"???

When I was given my first one-hour glucose test, I was told the reading was 122. They said I was fine but that we'd have another one done in a few months. That second one came & my result was a reading of 203. Apparently this was high enough that my doctor chose to skip the 3-hour & diagnosed me with gestational. I now have to check my blood sugar 4 times a day. They never told me what range I am suppose to be getting though, like what a "normal" reading should be. The majority of readings this past week have been between 95 & 115. Is this good, bad, normal?? I called to ask my OB but the nurse said she was unavailable until Friday (which is when I have my next appointment). Does anyone know what a "normal" reading should be??

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 8:05 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• That test has a high false positive rate. They shouldn't have had you skip the 3 hour to confirm. As a matter of fact, if they had tested you another day you would have been fine. I'm not even sure why they tested you TWICE when you passed the first time.

I declined the test myself. I do not have a history of diabetes in my family and I do not have any symptoms of diabetes. Not to mention that the best diet a pregnant women should be consuming also happens to be the diet recommended for women who are given the GD label. Pregnant women typically have higher blood sugar levels than the "normal" population especially later in pregnancy. The problem is that as far as I know one doctor's high is another doctors perfectly normal. If your levels are consistently normal, I would really question the test that you took.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Normal glucose levels fall between 70 and 150 mg. Levels typically are lower in the morning, and rise after meals. Blood sugar levels falling consistently above 150 are indicative of hyperglycemia, or high blood sugar. Chronic low levels, falling below 70, characterize hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar. Hypoglycemia is a potentially fatal condition. Symptoms of this condition are lethargy, impaired mental functioning, irritability and loss of consciousness. Persistent hyperglycemia results in diabetes mellitus, which is the most common disease related to blood sugar regulation failure. Diabetes can cause eye, kidney and nerve damage
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i have never had the pleasure of having gestational diabetes, but i am pretty sure a good reading is somewhere around 100......... then again hopefully someone will be able to answer you more definate
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:12 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• What are your fasting sugars?...203 is pretty high.
    lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 8:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Here are a couple of articles:
    http://rixarixa.blogspot.com/2008/01/michel-odent-on-gd.html
    http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gdhgoer.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• In the morning I usually am at about 95-100 & then by the end of the day I'm usually at about 110-115 with a 120-125 mixed in a few times over the past week. But almost all of my readings have come out between 95-115 which is why I was asking. The reason they tested me twice is because I have a family history & am on the heavy side, so they tested me early (I was 14weeks I believe for the first one) & then again at 28weeks (which they said is when they usually test).
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 8:54 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• One more article: http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/997295/Gestational_Diabetes?added_shortcut=1

This one stresses that it is true diabetes (diabetes mellitus) that is the danger and there are specific symptoms.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:06 PM on Aug. 24, 2009