Pantene Shampoo

I went to a new stylist who said the Pantene Shampoo and Conditioner I use on my hair was ruining it. She said there was a chemical in it that causes it to be brittle and have more split ends. Anyone ever heard of this? I don't know whether or not to switch shampoos?

Drewlove

Asked by Drewlove at 8:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Because the majority of all hair products contain a chemical called Ammonium Lauryl or Laurylth Sulfate in them. This chemical agent strips the natural oils from your hair and scalp, and repeated use over long periods of time can damage your hair and make your scalp dry and flaky.

The only company I know that does not use this chemical in all their products is Tresseme'. The problem with hair products today is that they are large in abundance and variety, you could pee in a bottle and put it on the shelf and some idiot who doesn't know any better would come along and buy it cause it buys into the fad or product claims.

toledoohiomom

Answer by toledoohiomom at 9:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• they just tell you that to get you to buy whatever they are selling. I'm not giving up my pantene and I don't have split ends

Answer by admckenzie at 8:12 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i have heard of it many times.
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 8:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Well maybe she was, but she didn't try to sell me anything. She was trying to think of what I could buy at the store that wouldn't cost much. I just want to know if there is any truth to it... Has anyone else had trouble?
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 8:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I have heard numerous bad things about Pantene and that was coming from stylists that weren't trying to get me to buy their product! If you trust your stylist and are lucky enough to have a good relationship with them you should go by their word...that is what they do for a living.
    lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 8:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• There are safer and more better PH balanced products you could use. Stay away from harsh cleaning shampoo's and you will be fine. You should never have to wash your hair more than once a week under normal conditions pertaining to your job and lifestyle. You can subsitute conditioner instead of shampoo, it will not strip your hair as bad as poo and will nourish it better. If you use poo everyday, your not helping your hair at all retain it's natural moisture content.
    toledoohiomom

Answer by toledoohiomom at 9:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Loreal makes a Sulfate Free Shampoo. They are the ONLY company that has a professional line AND and over the counter line. They are more in tune with keeping the hair healthy!! If you can't afford high dollar salon products, then use Loreal!
    tatmum

Answer by tatmum at 10:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• every hairdresser has told me the same thing, from making my hair fallout to making it brittle. i believe it all to be lies because it's not brittle and i have so much hair it cant fall out fast enough on its own! try telling them you use something else and see what they say, if they say the same thing its not the pantene its the fact they are selling something.
    pantene works great for my hair regardless of what a hairdresser needing an extra $5 says.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:41 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I have used all the expensive shampoos and conditioners and I always just go back to my Pantene... I agree. I think they are just trying to sell their stuff.
    KylonsMom

Answer by KylonsMom at 3:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Pantene is kind of a mixed bag, chemically: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/wordsearch.php?query=pantene

Answer by rkoloms at 9:02 PM on Aug. 26, 2009