Do you find this as disturbing as I do?

They just learned this NOW?
The body's appendix has long been thought of as nothing more than a worthless evolutionary artifact, good for nothing save a potentially lethal case of inflammation.

Now researchers suggest the appendix is a lot more than a useless remnant. Not only was it recently proposed to actually possess a critical function, but scientists now find it appears in nature a lot more often than before thought. And it's possible some of this organ's ancient uses could be recruited by physicians to help the human body fight disease more effectively.

In a way, the idea that the appendix is an organ whose time has passed has itself become a concept whose time is over.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090824/sc_livescience/theappendixusefulandinfactpromising

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Knew that quite some time ago. I don't have mine and alot of people don't yet the life expectancy keeps rising so I don't think its too detrimental.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:19 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Yep, because you are a scientist Carpy. It is a new study. grrr. Yet another example of why we should take OPINION for a grain of salt.

Yes, this is scary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I knew this months ago and it is still up in the air.

Please note dates. I have heard my nieces and brother (all drs) talking about this at Christmas.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/the-appendix-does-have-a-use--rebooting-the-gut-396277.html

http://pandasthumb.org/archives/2007/02/what-use-is-an.html
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• months ago /= sometime ago.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• No need for fights over this. Im just surprised that it has taken til now, meaning current history, to figure this out...
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I am more disturbed by the fact that, according to the article, they are just now finding whole families of animals that have appendixes--including rodents.
    wikem81

Answer by wikem81 at 8:45 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Sorry, she just seems to know everything. EVERYTHING.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• OOPS! They took mine out!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• anon maybe you need to get over what she knows and educate your self. dont worry about what some one else know worry about what you know.

thanks for the information but i dont have mine and either does my husband and i only get sick once a year. not to knock on wood or toot my own horn. had mine taken out when i was pregnant with my first baby at 16 weeks. glad they took since it was on the verge of bursting!!
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 8:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I fail to see why this is soooo "disturbing".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2009