What the heck!?!?!

I've been on a very strict diet for 2 weeks. Last week, I lost a pound. But this week, I'm up the pound I lost, plus one more. I just don't get it. I haven't cheated and I'm still gaining weight? What am I doing wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Well I still think you really need to consume more calories. You're putting your body into starvation mode and it will make it harder to lose weight. Another thing I notice about most people is that they just worry about the number on the scale. You should be measuring yourself to see if you're losing inches. Who care what the scale says if your clothes start falling off lol. When you're exercising especially with strength training you're gaining muscle and it weighs more than fat so the number on the scale might not change much, in fact it may go up.
    hillaryann

Answer by hillaryann at 1:33 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• For a couple of days write down everything you eat/drink and also whether emotion triggers you to eat as well.

Then use nutridiary.com or something similar to see how many calories you are eating in those few days to see where you are going wrong.

If you are eating for emotional reasons this could also be something you need to address.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 8:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• That's the thing though. I've been in a pretty good mood, and I only eat 3 times a day with kashi bars as snacks. I count all the calories and make sure not to go over 800 a day. Like I said, I've been VERY strict. I don't eat when I'm emotional.. which is why I'm pretty lost.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I'm gonna tell you what my overweight sister said to me once when I was sweatin gaining 2 lbs., she said "shit, I could lose that just takin a dump!" sorry, she can be a little vulgar, but she had a point...do you weigh first thing in the am after you've used the bathroom? You could also be retaining water...? Are you exercising? Muscle weighs more than fat...if you are gaining muscle and losing fat you might weigh a bit more...I used to work for an aerobics studio...the women were always getting upset with their weight gain, even though they were losing inches and lookin better everyday...

chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 8:30 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Wow 800 calories a day is really low that's probably why you're not losing weight. If you don't get enough calories your body actually holds onto the fat instead of burning it. Obviously I don't know your exact situation, but 800 doesn't sound healthy.
    hillaryann

Answer by hillaryann at 10:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Lol chocolate. I make sure to weigh myself in the morning. I've heard people weigh less in the morning, which is why I do it. I weighed myself again today and lost a pound. So I don't know what the hell is going on.. ugh!! I do excercise. I walk in the mornings and I do weights in the afternoon.

800 calories a day is a little bit, but I'm managing. I REALLY need to lose a few pounds for a wedding I'm going to be in. I freaking hate dieting.. ugh!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• The up down up down thing that you're doing with 1 pound is clearly water weight. Don't sweat the small stuff. I do agree that 800 calories a day is pretty low, but if you're not exercising it probably won't kill you. I say up the calories by 400 and start lifting and doing some cardio. That is going to be the best thing for you in the long run.......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• ive been going through the EXACT same thing, but ive been working out, alot of cardio, and i GAINED 6 pounds in a lil over week. =(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• could you have gained muscle, can you judge it by measurements or how you clothes fit and avoid the scale, the scale isnt all there is to it... who really cares about weight, we care about how we look, how clothes feel and what size they are, base your progress on that and pitch the scale.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:44 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My clothes have been fitting alot better than ever! Hmm.. maybe you ladies are right. Thanks so much :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2009