how long after you reach four centimeters before you go to hospital

smiley198028

Asked by smiley198028 at 8:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• usually when you go to the hospital depends on timing of contractions i think.....
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:50 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• It depends. When I went to the hospital I was only 4 cm, but my water had broken 8 hours prior to that. My sister was 4 cm and had to be induces 3 weeks later.
    wikem81

Answer by wikem81 at 8:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i was 3 cm when my water broke at home i went then my dr told to go either when my water broke or when my contraction got to wear i couldnt talk to them bc my contraction were 5 mins apart for two days b4 my water broke but they didnt hurt.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 9:01 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Well, we "shouldn't" know what our cervix is doing.
    We go in when contractions are getting pretty intense, hard to cope through, maybe 3 minutes apart.
    But the 4-1-1 rule is a good standard, too.
    (Four minutes apart, lasting a minue each, or more, and for at least one hour or so.)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i have been at the hospital and seen women at a five or six sent home because they were not in actual labor, so it just depends on the doctor and what he wants to do. being four cm doesnt mean any thing to them at all!!
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 9:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Being x cm dilated does not mean that you are in labor at all. Like doulala mentioned when the contractions are lasting 1 minute, are 4 minutes apart for at least an hour its time to go in (still doesn't automatically mean that you are in active labor but its an indication).
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 10:53 AM on Aug. 25, 2009