Low carb diet for overweight child?

My daughter who's going to be 8 soon,is big for her age and when I take her to the doctor they say her WEIGHT is normal for her height.She has ripples of fat lines on her stomach,she's not very active but she still walks alot and rides her bike and swims.I'm wondering if she should cut back on peanut butter, since it's high in fat and bread since there's alot of carbs.I've tried reduced peanut butter-not as flavorful.Sometimes we use weight watcher bread,good idea?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Try whole grain breads. Limit pasta, white rice, white potatoes and refined sugars. Do not eliminate carbs completely. Also avoid junk foods and soda.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I heard that a child needs every food group,this includes white flour products like pasta, and tortillas.I can see giving her a small portion of it,like a 1/2 c. serving.I heard children are supposed to have 9-11 servings of carbs like pretzels,popcorn,chips,breads and pastas, rice and evrything else a day.My doctor said,she needs 1 cup of 2% milk a day and then she can have a string cheese and a yogurt other high calcium foods, 3 a day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Add more fruits and vegetables. Instead of just Peanut butter try, apples and PB, or celery and PB. Carrots, plums, bananas, apples, pears. Let her build her own salad with all the fixings. Make it fun, not a diet, the whole family can join in. Also keep in mind that she is 8 and may not lose the baby fat until she hit puberty. I have a cousin that in one summer grew straight up and lost all of her baby fat and is a gorgeous curvy girl, her two brothers are not a fan.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:12 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• But the doctor said this last year when she didn't see my daughters ripple lines.I plan to call her and ask for advice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Do NOT limit any foods unless the doctor tells you to and I would only do that with the help of a nutritionist to make sure my child is getting all the nutrients needed. Girls that are going through puberty or really close to it, tend to be a little chubbier than those that aren't.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• ummmmm the dr said she was healthy so get off her ass and trying to make her look more appealing for you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• COuldn't agree more with Anon :51.. She's at that age where alot of kids start chunking up some, ITS NORMAL!! Quit being such a bitchy mom otherwise you are going to cause her to have an eating disorder.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:35 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Wow. The doctor says she's fine but you worry about "ripple lines" and want to put her on a diet?

Way to teach a girl to feel good about herself.

Have you even read anything about healthy diets? Cutting carbs is a quick fix at the most and is NOT a healthy lifestyle. I strongly suggest you either speak with a nutritionist (for yourself) and/or take some nutrition classes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I would stick to just offering healthy choices. Switch from white, refined carbs to whole grains but don't eliminate them completely. Also, make sure that snacks are healthy, not sweets (cheese and crackers, fruits, etc). Kids tend to put on a little weight at this age in preparation for the height bump they're going to be getting. Once she shoots up a couple inches, her weight will spread out. With kids, it's rarely about trying to get them to lose weight, it's more about maintaining.

Answer by missanc at 12:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• You need to be very, very careful about this, so you don't ruin her self-image. You could VERY easily give her eating/food issues (anorexia, bulemia) and serious self-confidence problems.

If the doc doesn't think there's a problem, then you should back off. It sounds like she's active enough to be healthy.

Simply offer more healthy options, but don't say a word about how much she eats or how much she eats.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 5:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2009