Lunch

Do you pack a lunch for your kids or let them eat school food.
Do you think one is cheaper than the other?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in

• We do both. We qualify for a reduced price lunch so their lunch is really cheap at school so I can't beat that. But there are days that they don't like what school is serving so I let them pack a lunch.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 9:05 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• We mainly send lunches for the younger kids. The school sends home a lunch menu at the begining of the month. My kids circle the days they want hot lunch in their color marker, this way they get food that will be eaten and not thrown away.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 9:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• We do both. My kids' schools send home a monthly menu too. I highlight the days that they don't like the school lunch so that I will remember to pack them something. The rest of the time, they just eat at school. This year, my oldest moved into another building & they also offer a salad bar. So far she has either eaten the lunch or from the salad bar. The lunches are $1.15 for my youngest daughter & $1.35 for my oldest daughter. I'm not sure how much it actually cost me to pack them a lunch.
    soccermom0002

Answer by soccermom0002 at 9:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I pack lunch for DS (16 yo)-he will be doing it this year most of the time. He used to buy more often, but lunches are up to $1.50 and we don't qualify for reduced lunch and he needs 2 school lunches to fill him up! So at $3.00 per day it is alot cheaper to send his lunch. I stock up on snacks and drinks at the warehouse store which also helps. Plus he has so little time for lunch(20 min) that he preferrs buying so he actually has time to eat rather than just inhale it.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My dd is in middle school, and they have 3 lunch lines to chose from, each line serving something different....so she wants to eat at school everyday.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My son is in middle school and he eats lunch at school. We get free/reduced lunches, so I can't beat that. I did have to pay for his lunches for 1 1/2 yrs and at $2.25 a lunch, that was getting expensive. He does have 2 options, A lunch which is whatever is scheduled that day or B lunch which is ala carte and he can pick from a variety or items. He told me that it is uncool to bring a lunch to middle school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• We pack a lunch and there is no option at his school to buy lunches. Each class has microwaves and toasters so you can heat items brought in. If my child attended a public school where lunch was an option to buy.....I would still pack a lunch. I used to work in schools and bought school lunches regularly. Not cheaper and it was interesting food. Something that disguised itself as food but not actually really tasty.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:35 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My kids get lunch at school. We qualify for free lunches (so far). Otherwise they would bring them from home but they would be pretty plain because we can't afford juice boxes and lots of snacks. They would get a sandwich, a bottle of tap water and 1 snack. The school lunches are much more well rounded and filling for sure.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:32 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My boys are Kindergarten at 2nd grade age, and I insist on packing their lunches. They are habitual and picky eaters, and I can be sure to provide them with a healthy lunch and snacks this way. I always pack more than they will normally eat, so they are not hungry and can focus on school. However, I also post the monthly school lunch menu, and if my older one wants something like pizza, I will send the money in with a note to remind his teacher that he's having the school lunch on this day--he's shy and doesn't always stand up for himself--and would likely go hungry--but be miserable later in the day! On those days when he wants to try the school lunch, I pack a smaller quantity option, to encourage him to try the school lunch, but also in case he changes his mind!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:40 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My older ones pack on the day they didn't want hot lunch. and when they were little I was the lunch lady so they always had hot lunch, because I gave them extra whatever they wanted, lol
    Now with my 4 yr old going into a Pre-K program and will eat hot lunch one day a week. I will be packing his lunch. He is extremely picky and I know he would not like anything the lunch room had to offer.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2009