Low fat and carb diet for overweight child?

My daughter is big for her age,soon to be 8 and she has ripples of fat lines on her stomach.The last time I took her to the doctor,she was a little pudgy then,they said;her weight is normal for her height.I'm thinking of her drinking 1% milk instead of 2 %, eating weight watchers bread to watch her carbs,buying reduced -fat peanut butter,even though it tastes gross,I suspect the peanut butter is making her fat,agree, even the jelly?She's not the most active child,but she does ride her bike alot,swim and walk most times.What to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Why would you put a 8 year old on a diet if she is not overweight??? Please don't do that to her...
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 9:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Ripple lines, means what then?I figure she's not able to metabolise her carbs and sugars like me and she stores them as fat in her stomach like me.But I was skinny at her age and skinny up to my late 20's.The doctor said that about her last year,she hasn't seen her lately.Now I'm looking forward to what she has to say.Probably will say get her more exercise,she tends to be stuborn and lazy,hard to get her active but this summer she was active and I saw her loose a little weight,so that's probably what it was and also maybe she was so busy she didn't eat as much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• my neighbor had a very fat child, not to be mean but her doc laid into her ... she started steaming vegi's when he was used to getting dinner, so he would be starving for them and eat them, then just give him smaller meals, the vegis keep you full longer, and he is very active, maybe you could find an activity she likes to keep the weight off. i am sorry! my son can eat everything under the sun and is still underweight like his daddy.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Do NOT single out your child by putting her on a diet while the rest of you eat whatever you want. Your entire family needs to eat better if you are so concerned with her weight. But don't bring it up to her. The South Beach Diet has some great recipes that are really good, just don't do the actual phases.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 2:42 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY!!!
    NO NO NO NO NO......your body needs "good carbs".
    She is 8 years old. Get her into physical activity, of some sort.

Do not allow any sodas or candies, or very small amounts in moderation. Watch sugars in things like cereal.
    i agree with one of the PP's that says you all need to eat healithier if you are concerned about her weight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Theres a group here on Cafemom called " Daily Nutritional Tips" you should check out. Not only are there tips, there are forums with a weight loss challenge, exercise plans/programs, & diet plans/programs.

What do you have to lose? There is LOTS of information there!

Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on Sep. 5, 2009