If you homeschool your children for non religious reasons, what school of teaching do you go by?

I am considering homeschooling my children but am having a hard time finding a type of schooling that is right for us. I really enjoy the Waldorf school of teaching but some aspects are a little strict for me. Anybody have experience with Alternatives to religious homeschooling?

lucysmomrocks

Asked by lucysmomrocks at 9:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• We are kind of eclectic and kind of classical.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I'm not really using a school of teaching. My son is just starting Kindergarten this year, and I decided to use the Moving Beyond the Page Curriculum for Gifted and Creative Children. It is working out great for us so far. For math I am just printing worksheets from the internet. I am following the Houghton Mifflin Math for this. We are using the Click N Read Phonics program online for reading. It only takes us a couple hours a day to get thru all this, so the rest of the day we pretty much just unschool. There are lots of resources out there for non-religious home-schoolers, and even a lot of the religious curriculums are easily adaptable.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• as long as you have a teaching degree, isn't it all the same?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• We're eclectic. I pick & choose aspects I like from the many different methods. I also pick & choose materials from various providers & create some myself. There wasn't a single method that would work for us, so I just decided to come up with my own way.
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 10:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• We're eclectic homeschoolers too, we are also a bit of classical. I suggest the Well-Trained Mind.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• the beauty of homeschooling is that that it's a buffet, you can combine the best aspects of any number of different approaches. I have a group here on CM for secular homeschoolers. we have an extensive collection of links to HS resources and a thread outlining various methods of homeschooling, if you're interested.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:23 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

oh, give it a rest. and it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:26 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

yeah...i was kind of curious to what you meant.....i'm not really sure if you understand the question...read it next time.
    lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 12:20 PM on Aug. 25, 2009