Car Seat Mommies, Only Please!

J is 2.5, 28 lbs. He is RFing in a Radian, with a limit of 40lbs RFing. He has been undoing the harness, top and bottom while driving. Can anyone give me any ideas? Is he safe FFing? If I decide to flip him. I think I should so I can see him. I am also sick of hearing my DH complain about him RFing. So I guess I would like reassurance that FFing is safe as well. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• depends on the state, but where I am from says they have to be rearfacing now until they are 2 years old which they just passed that law it was 12 months so I have to put my daughter facing the back again it goes in affect in October our daughter is almost 20 months old and I faced her to the back and to be honest I think it is more harder that way when they are so big her little legs are squished it looks like to me that if we got in an accidents she would break her little legs. But they also passed the law now that they have to be in a booster seat until 8 years and 4'9. But anyway on your question if your son is 2.5 he is old enough to face the front, but do what you are ready for if you are not ready to face him the front way then don't they do say the longer they stay facing the back the saver they are.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:30 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• He is 2.5 years old and 28 lbs. Then he can be turned around. He would probably stop messing with the harness, since he has more to look at.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:41 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• its still 1 year 20lbs he can FF now
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 9:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• ERF irritates me. There was a time where there wern't any car seats and we were fine.
    At 1 and 20 lbs you can forward face. Stop overprotecting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• In the days before car seats there were also millions of cars less on the road and thousands of more infant deaths each year. If someone is asking for reassurance don't berate them for "overprotecting"- you are lame, anon.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:58 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I say that he is more than safe right now. Not to mention, if he is unclipping his seat he definately even SAFER FF where you can see him.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:30 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I highly disagree with Anon. Have you researched ERF? It is 5x safer to have your children RFing up to the weight limit of their seat. There is A LOT of info regarding ERF!
    sunnyflower417

Answer by sunnyflower417 at 11:45 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I think when she said Carseat Mommies she was referring to those who cared about their kids and carseat safety.
    If he were my child I would not turn him. Get one of those mirrors to put on the back of the seat so you can see him when he does it. Put velcro on the clip, he wont like the feeling of it and will leave it alone. If you get a mirror, pull over right when you notice him messing with it, firmly tell him no and fix the clip. Do this everytime, its a pain, but worth it to keep him rear facing. Kids shouldnt be forward facing in my opinion until the age of 3. Some people are forced to flip their kids before then due to the United States lack of concern over children and carseats because our seats are crap and dont rear face long. You have choices. Also, he is old enough, if you dont have to bring him with you, then dont, and tell him that its because he cant sit right in his seat.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 5:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2009