I cut cold turkey on BF, but how long are they swollen??

Ok, so I've gotten over the worst part of stopping BF, and I should've asked my nurse this but I'll ask for your help first. How long are they swollen? How long do I keep them bound? And when do they stop hurting ALL the way? One more, will I leak at all after this? and if I do, then for how long and how much? Thanks! PS- don't ask me why I've stopped cause I won't tell you, so please don't judge. thx

mandi_m

Asked by mandi_m at 9:25 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Health

• I tried going on cold turkey but my breast were just hurting way too bad... Gave that whole cold turkey up at the first day... lol
    I decided to take it slow and reduced the breastfeeding just for evening and morning for a few days and then just morning feedings. It was not painful to stop at all then. But I was still leaking a little for about 2 weeks.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 9:30 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• STOP BINDING THEM. Jeeeeze. You're on the road to mastitis. Do you have a pump? Or even go take a hot shower to relieve some of the pressure and then stay away from hot showers for a while. Then put cabbage leaves in your bra and drink LOTS Of peppermint and sage tea. When the cabbage leave wilt, change them. Keep doing that until your milk is gone. You may leak for a while. Some women have milk for 1 year + after they wean.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I quit cold turkey with my first. I didn't know any better. It was the worst pain ever and lasted quite a long time. I leaked for about 3 months. If I were you I would pump a little just to relieve the engorgement. Maybe just once a day.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2009