confused by CDC circumcision possible law/rule thingy.... help?

In some places it is siting it as mandatory and in other places it makes it sounds like they'd just suggest or highly advise it. What are the specifics behind the proposal? And would there be waivers and opt out options like with vaccines and things like that?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 9:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The CDC has lost it.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 11:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I haven't heard of this. WOW. Since no medical agency in the world recommends routine infant circ, I'd think this wouldn't ever pass.
    http://www.nocircpa.org/4642.html
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• cdc got a HIV stick up their butts.... *sigh* I hate when my baby boy has unprotected gay sex. we should lock him in his crib.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:00 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• The CDC is not a rule-making body so whatever they say is not an issue of law. They do make recommendations regarding healthcare, and they are recommending that all baby boys get circumcized. This recommendation is based on a study done in Africa involving heterosexual men and women. The study found that the transmisson of AIDS was reduced by 50% between heterosexual men and women where the only factor was circumcision. This meant that both men and women seemed to benefit from the fact that the men were cirumcised as the rate of infection in women was reduced as well.

The contrasting study in the US involved homosexual men-- there seemed to be no transmission rate difference between those that are circumcized or not.

It will ultimately be up to the parent to decide. The CDC's recommendation is also considered by insurance companies as to "standard of care" so what may not have been covered may be later on.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 10:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My health care didnt/wouldnt cover either one of my boys so they didnt get it. i so hope im having girls (im having twins) if this is going to happen, this worlds going to hell..lol.
    SweetPea708

Answer by SweetPea708 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• no one is forcing any one to circ their sons, they just do studies and off of those studies they give recommendations thats it.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 10:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• *sigh*

It is believed that circ'd men have a higher rate of AIDS because the friction of the foreskin creates tiny "tears" in the penis that provide opportunities for infection; and in a culture where condom use is rare, yes, it makes a difference. If you recall, similar studies demonstrate that female circumcision also results in fewer infections.

tmk, no studie haS been conducted where circ'd men using condoms were compared with uncirc'd men using condoms to determine the rate that each condom using group contracted AIDS.

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• There is no law stating that you have to have your child circ'd. Neither of my sons are, by the choice of my DH and I. We saw no reason to mutilate our kids. (Not trying to start an argument, just OUR reasoning.) HappyTX is right - to compare the AIDS ratio in Africa, where condoms are like a dirty word, to here, where they are more readily used - nearly apples and oranges in terms of cultural differences.

Talk to your doc, and do your own reading. That is what we did. My kids have had no problems with having a foreskin, other than the tendancy to try and clip things to it, but I think that would happen regardless. As well, should you get one for your child make sure the dr is skilled with it. I have several friends whose sons' circs look like hell, and don't even look done. A bad one is worse than none at all.

No laws, make your own decision.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 11:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 12:58 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 12:59 AM on Aug. 25, 2009