Help I'm getting older!!!

I'm past 40 now and having a hard time accepting it. Not only do I struggle with baby fever (when finance, work and everything is life says "No") over and over, but I'm stempted to bleach my hair platinum (which I did then when smokey ash blond the week after). I know what I'm doing is rediculous, but how do I get my emotions in order (without having to see a shrink)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Health

• life isnt over at 40. you could easily live another 60 years. i dont understand the sudden panic, unless you thought at some point in your life 40 was the magic number that was going to make everything perfect.
    i'm too practical for compassionate conversation-sorry bout that-but to me, it sounds like you are freaking out over something fictional you put in your own head rather than what is really going on in your life.
    are you worried about your age, or your daughter leaving, or how you appear physically, or how you raised your daughter? or all of the above??
    it sounds more to me like you are in a panic stage about being alone, and you now realize work isn't life. life isnt work. you filled your life with work and work is not fulfilling your life. that's a hard realization i agree.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:18 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I'm over 40 now too....it is an adjustment! You just can't focus on the number...it's just a number, your still you. Accept yourself for who you are. Look back and realize all you've accomplished in your life. If you can ease up on yourself and just be you, these can be the best years of your life. You know yourself better now than you did when you were younger. Just stop telling yourself your old and somehow have to change yourself to be younger. Be proud of who you are and the number doesn't even matter. Send me a pm if you wanna talk. I'm 45.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I don't know..I am now 41...I didn't necessarily have the baby fever but ending having a baby at 38 and another on my 40th birthday. (I have a 13 yr old from previous marriage so I didn't get started too late) .I don't feel old until I get on Facebook and see people my age and a couple of years older talking about their grandkids...come on, I'm not old enough to have grandkids am I? Last year I went to the eye dr and she said that I was to the age now that I needed bifocals but I didn't have to get them this time...I didn't.. but now I need them...I want to do my hair blond too. but I don't know how to get rid of the wrinkles.....
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 10:02 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Thank you robinann5,

I have worked extremely hard for survival. My only daughter is 17 who has had a "sisterhood" of friends from other mothers while I worked. But when I look at my life, all I see is a blur.

I've always had hopes of slowing down, but I'm trapped into work more than ever (and this saddens me). Before I knew it, boom, here I am at 40.

My daughter has grown up to be a beautiful lady. But I feel that I really missed her childhood.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Honey I'm turning 46 tomorrow and I'm loving my 40's.

I wrote a journal last year about this, I hope you find it inspirational.

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1058746/My_thoughts_on_aging

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Thank You beeky,

I ready your journal, but my life has been too different. I had my daughter at 24. Since then, I've worked, worked, and worked even more. No time to explore life. No time to spend with my daughter. throughout my years, I really closed myself up in a bubble without oxygen because of work. The only thing I have now is that I have a beautiful daughter going off to college. I hope that she takes life a bit slower and explore more than I did, because life is too precious to live in a bubble. As I look at my own accomplishments, I see a career. But then again, I've had careers, and they're just a vicious cycle of ups and downs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Backpack across Europe go back to college take some fun classes or be adventurous have multiple orgasms have fun yor life is not over although your biological clock may be but use that to your advantage reclaim tour independence just a few suggestions
    GINSMUM123

Answer by GINSMUM123 at 3:33 AM on Aug. 25, 2009