If Adam and Eve were perfect creations, how could they have sinned?

Sorry, but free will doesn't cut it for me. If god created them as perfect beings they could NOT have sinned. No matter how much free will you have, if you sin, you aren't perfect, and your creator must also be flawed since he couldn't insure perfection in his creations. And if Yahweh KNEW that his creations would be imperfect and sin, and that he would have to consign them to hell, he is neither a good nor loving god. He should have not created them in the first place and spared his "children" from hell. Any REAL theories about how ANY of this could line up with the good and perfect god that christians keep burbling about?

witchqueen

Asked by witchqueen at 10:01 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• anon: "I think of it this way, because of the genetics I'm giving them, my kids will likely have very bad eye sight....am I cruel for bringing them into the world so long as I promise to get them all the corrective lenses (and even lasik some day) that they need? Or am I unloving for giving them life at all in such a doomed fuzzy vision way?"

Um....you aren't choosing what your kids are like. All you can do is choose your mate, the rest is all up to chance and your genetics. God supposedly actually created Adam and Eve personally and chose everything about them...yet he let them be imperfect. Besides, allowing your kids to be born with the annoyance of glasses is SOOOOOO far off from the concept of letting them be born knowing they will go to hell!!!
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 12:29 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Can I tongue kiss you? *looks at you like a love-sick calf*
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• God said 'this is good'. Good doesn't mean perfect.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 10:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My understanding of the creation was that it was described at "good" not "perfect."

As far as the "all going to hell," that's what the whole atonement thing was about, to help us humans be perfected in Christ some day....and in the meantime we get this awesome experience of mortality where we can learn and grow in ways that would never be possible without imperfection and sin being around.

I think of it this way, because of the genetics I'm giving them, my kids will likely have very bad eye sight....am I cruel for bringing them into the world so long as I promise to get them all the corrective lenses (and even lasik some day) that they need? Or am I unloving for giving them life at all in such a doomed fuzzy vision way?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I assume the way a straight person can choose to be gay or a gay person can choose to be striaght...LOL Just kidding, one cannot choose to do something completely outside of thier nature because once they do it they've just dissproved that it was outside of their nature to begin with, hope that made sense.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 11:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I know that you have already heard the answer, but you don't agree with it.

Adam and Eve were perfect, until they chose to no longer be perfect. Adam and Eve did not choose knowledge! They chose to know evil--they ALREADY knew everything good. And that very day they did die -- they died spiritually.

That is on them. We don't have that choice. We can't choose to stay perfect. But their choice doesn't really matter to us. We now have a choice to make ourselves. We can choose the good thing. We can choose Jesus.

Even though all of us disobey God and pursue evil, God still chose to come down off His glorious throne in heaven, live a life of a human, be tortured, and die on a cross -- all so that we could be able to choose the good thing.

He loves you so much that He died for you. We don't have to make the same mistake they made --whether it is through deceit or disobedience.

You have heard it before. I know.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• God created Adam & Eve as perfect, just like the rest of creation. He gave them a beautiful garden to live in, with a variety of fruit trees to eat from. The only tree which God forbade them to eat from was the Tree of the Knowledge of Good & Evil. God said that if they ate from THAT tree, they would die. God KNEW that they would disobey Him & already had a rescue plan for sinners (in the form of Jesus Christ, His Son, who would eventually die in the place of sinners, bearing their punishment) but God did not want Adam & Eve (& subsequent people) to be mere automatons; He wanted them to love and obey Him because they WANTED to, not because they had no other choice.
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 11:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• However, when Adam & Eve were tempted by the devil's lies they disobeyed God. They deliberately chose to do the exact opposite of what God had said - then lied about it afterwards! - and became the world's first sinners, bringing the consequence of death into the world, not only to themselves but to all their descendants and all creation as well.

Since then, everyone born into this world (with the exception of Jesus Christ, who is the sinless & perfect Son of God) has been born with the greatest of all terminal diseases - SIN - the reason that every last one of us is destined to die one day
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 11:41 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• As a matter of interest, I once saw a documentary about the behaviour of pre-school children. A group of maybe a dozen 3-4 year olds were put into a room full of toys. They were told that they could play with any of the toys they liked, EXCEPT the Buzz Lightyear. They were told that they must not play with it or even touch it, but they could play with whichever other toys they liked. The children did not know that they were being watched via a two-way mirror, but EVERY child disobeyed the instructions and played with Buzz Lightyear! Not only that, they were individually asked afterwards about whether they had had fun, which toys they had played with etc, and they were asked specifically whether they had touched or played with Buzz Lightyear, they all lied and said 'No!'
    Like it or not, even young children are sinners!
    hinson7169

• To be perfect means to love the Lord our God with all our hearts, souls, and minds. Free will may cause us to look, see, and hear things we ought not to - and it may even lead us to act on things we know we should not. However, perfection also means that we know we did wrong and seek to rectify our actions. Adam and Eve immediately knew they had done wrong in disobeying the one thing God told them not to do, but it did not keep them from admitting it and thereby gaining God's forgiveness and remaining "perfect" in His eyes. Your eyes, witchqueen, are not perfect and they are not the eyes of God. You are not a Christian. Your mocking means nothing except a loud clanging noise that borders on annoying.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Aug. 25, 2009