A real miracle?

The story of the whale swallowing Jonah, though a whale is large enough to do it, borders greatly on the marvelous; but it would have approached nearer to the idea of a miracle if Jonah had swallowed the whale. [Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason]

Gotta love Thomas Paine. The man was witty and snarky and full of spit-fire.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:01 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yeah! I get the joke! That's pretty funny, but I bet he'd get Mercury poisoning. LOL
    JenniP0708270

Answer by JenniP0708270 at 6:56 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• The Miracle was he remained in the belly three days, and lived.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• so there are legends of man-eating catfish at oklahoma's lake tenkiller....miracle or legend? a catfish is not as big as a whale, so whether i believe by faith or not, i'd certainly come closer to believing a whale of a tale, than the carnivorous catfish.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Does no one see the lol-ness of what he's saying? It would have been more awesome if Jonah had swallowed the whale. I picture this in my mind and I want to laugh like a loon. Perhaps I need some sleep...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• perhaps i'm too serious, but for me the 'real miracle' is the result of jonah's change of heart and the action he subsequently took for the 'cause', and the result of such.

but yeah, it would be awesome to watch someone attempt to eat a whale..kinda like the food network show, 'man vs. food'..lol
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I love that show! I can't believe some of the things that mans eats. I always wonder how much time he spends on the can after one of those eating contests!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Thomas Paine said things that in that day got people sooooo fired up. I remember learning that when he died there was no church burial ground that would take his body for burial; that is crazy!

Yes, I agree it would have been MORE of a miracle if Jonah swallowed the whale. But then he would have had to swim to Ninevah all by himself, with a 150 ton whale in his tummy. I don't think that was the point of the miracle.

And there was a point to this miracle. The Ninevites worshipped Dagon the fish god. And when Jonah went there to preach to them, having just been vomitted up by a huge fish (stinking and bleached by stomach acid) Jonah became a sign to them to repent and stop worshipping a fish god.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:21 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Ditto to thehairnazi...well said wink mini

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• btw
    a whale's throat is too small to swallow a human.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Where is the question about religion or beliefs here?

And outstandingLove some whales have larger throats. Big enough to swallow BIG things. Maybe you should look up some of what has been found in the bellies of beached whales.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2009