Toxic friendships: Dump 'em or try to make it work?

I've pretty much made my decision but I wanted to see what you Moms thought. There's a girl I've known since high school. Actually I met her and her brother in high school and though people picked on them REALLY badly, I was drawn to them. But as time went on, she seemed to still be in "high school". Even today she is TOTALLY dramatic and always calls me with something bad. Always something about what someone has done to her. She's really frustrating and no matter how much I talk and encourage, she still does that. Everything is a joke and other people have went off on her because she can be really obnoxious. She's only a year younger than me and has a daughter. I'm just feeling really tired of her. What do you think I should do?

His_Mommy26

Asked by His_Mommy26 at 10:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• Toxic "friendships" aren't friendships at all. They are dependancies. Move away from her. Stop returning calls or texts. If she doesn't get the clue..tell her straight up. "I'm sorry to have to say this but our friendship is one sided and I'm done. You seek advise about the same issues and refuse to act on it. I'm done. Goodbye"
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• dump
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 10:25 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• There is no rule that says just because you have known someone for a long time, you must be friends with them. I recently had to cut ties with a few people who were on totally different wave lengths than me. I am mature and raising a family and it seemed like these "friends" were really just looking for a place to dump their baggage or to crash at my house. I'm over it now. Made room in my schedule for better friends!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I had to do this recently. I went through all my contacts and thought this : If I have something negative to say about them, or they have something negative to say about me, then they dont need to be "friends" anymore. Same with people that never call me. I ended up deleting almost half of my contacts, but it was the best thing Ive ever done. And there is always room for more friends. Try it.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 10:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• If a person brings nothing good or positive to the friendship then leave the friendship to die in it's poison.
    I had to let a few friendships go in the last year because I just can't do it anymore. Same problems, different characters in the same scene and it gets old, and it does nothing but stress me out worrying about them.
    Sometimes you have to cut your losses and you'll be a whole lot happier.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 11:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2009