What parenting issue do you feel very strongly about?

Me its manners. My kids will have manners always. I get told a lot by people at storytime that my oldest is very polite.

sweetpea532

Asked by sweetpea532 at 10:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• And I am very passonate about teaching religious tolerance and understanding. I don't think this is something that people think about. They teach their children one way and then just assume that's enough. It's not for most. I think that it's very important to teach children about other paths and teach that all are equil in the eyes of the believers.

For me to teach that hate is the only real evil is the most important thing!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Spanking/slapping hands. I think it is completely wrong and will only teach children to hit and humilate others.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 10:45 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I agree with manners. I'm also big on having compassion for other people and their feelings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Respect. Not just of my dh and I, but of all elders.
    ajw1980

Answer by ajw1980 at 10:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Spanking....we just don't. Giving him time to transition from one activity to the other, the five minute warning (4, 3, 2, 1 times up). Very limited television, none to only about two hours total a week. Reading everyday lots and lots of books. Spending time with just the three of us each day playing and being silly (mom, dad, and child). Using our words and body for helping and caring not hitting and hurting. Teaching and showing him how to correct poor choices, role playing better choices out. Expressing our emotions verbally and in a respectful manner, no bad feelings just poor choices in how we act on those feelings. Waiting....just because I can buy him things I deliberately don't. I want to but I also feel strongly that he should have the gift of wishing, waiting, and wanting. And even the gift of disappointment.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:00 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• responsibility and respect. Us kids always helped out around the house, and I expect the same of my kid (s?) when she gets old enough.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 11:01 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• RESPECT, as in all parents having respect for other parents' situations & choices and not judging them based on their own ideas of what is and isn't appropriate. By giving & showing respect for others, we are teaching our children to do the same.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• my LO is still a little baby, so for me it's breastfeeding and babywearing. Later on though I can see it being respect. My fam is big on "ma'am", "sir", and using Aunt/Uncle, Mr/Ms instead of calling them by first names.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 11:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I know I am going to be booed for this one but I believe strongly in old fashioned corporal punishment. Yes Im a spanker. (well not so much anymore as my son is almost as big as I am lol) But when he was little he got a 1 and a 2 and if I got to three then we made a trip to the bathroom. Funny how I always got compliments on how well behaved he was.
    Anywho I just see so many moms who dont believe in spanking so really dont discipline their children at all and these kids are growing up to be deliquents.
    And no I am not making an implication that kids who arent spanked will grow up to be deliquents. just some of the ones I personally happen to know
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Funny, I'm just putting this out there... but all the actual delinquents I worked with professionally, their parents spanked. I'm being dead serious.  I have NEVER worked with a kid that was in trouble with the law who reported not being spanked ever.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2009