5 week old not doing much of anything...

I thought my baby would be getting a little more active with me he is 5 weeks old and he doesnt coo or smile he can make eye contact and get startled with noise but he is pertty much the same as when we took him home from the hospital he still sleeps all the time. I try to get him to grib things for a few seconds but he wont he was born at 35 weeks could he have a learnig disablity, also how old was your child when you stoped swaddling him? I try to keep him awake when he does wake up but its useless he just passes right back out. am i just too worried?

ggiovanni

Asked by ggiovanni at 10:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your baby was born 5 weeks early...so his developmental age would only be that of a week old...They say they go by the due date so you would have to remember that for everything. He might not do certain things for an extra month bc he was premature. He will catch up eventually though! dont worry!
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 11:05 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I think he's fine. I mean, if you're concerned, ask the pediatrician, but keep in mind, smaller babies sleep a lot. My daughter was born at 37 weeks and was 4 pounds and she slept constantly. 5 weeks is still young to be overly interactive. Keep him swaddled for as long as he likes it. If it keeps him comfy and happy, why not? Keeping him awake will only make him mad. Let him sleep, he's probably trying to catch up on his growth!! Again, talk to your Dr if you're concerned, but he's still essentially a newborn.
    LiviGracesmom

Answer by LiviGracesmom at 11:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I dont think my baby did much at 5 weeks either
    i wouldnt be too worried. I dont think they really start cooing and smiling til around 8-10 weeks
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 11:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Also keep in mind, if he's 5 weeks now, and was born at 35 weeks, he's just now a 40 week full term baby.
    LiviGracesmom

Answer by LiviGracesmom at 11:05 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• my son is 3 months old, and he was born at 34 weeks. i dont think he cooed, smiled or grabbed at things when he was 5 weeks either. he just ate and went back to sleep usually. but now hes great, he coos smiles he can almost hold his head up he stays awake alot grabbs and pulls my hair and necklace etc. and we just went to the doctor today and he perfect so dont worry, it will all start to happen soon.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:05 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I know it is hard to wait with that first child. I mean, you just want to get out and do fun things with your child and play with him right? I would say your baby is fine. At 5 weeks the world is still new to them. You can always read stories to him. Books are great at any age! My son is 2 and this time I am really going to enjoy that newborn phase since I have him to play with and hopefully her to cuddle with!
    JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 11:06 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Yall are soooo smart i didnt even think about it like he is actually only 40 weeks old now.... wow now i just feel silly. Thanks Yall.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 11:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• my daughter slept alot at that age and even older. in fact I wanted to know when she was going to do more than just sit there. she was born at 32 weeks and was 4 pounds. it took her a while to be active. she woke up long enough to eat a little then went back to sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• dont worry mama! it is normal for him to be tired all the time! he is after all a newborn! when he's my son didnt start smiling till he was 3 or 4 months old, but dont worry yourself by comparing your son to other babies (it's normal to compare, but dont worry yourself). when he's awake, you can stimulate your baby by singing, telling him what you're doing (the dishes, folding clothes...etc) dance around to music, point out the bird at the window...even if he seems to be in la la land, he is absorbing everything! i stopped swaddling my son once he was capable of kicking off the blanket! whe he wakes up and you want him to stay awake for a while, open the blinds, put the radio on, run the dishwasher, talk on the phone...make your normal daytime noises! this is day and night mixup. very normal for this age! when he shows his tired cues, dim the lights, lower the volumes... and lay him down =)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• wow sorry about the 3rd sentence "when he's my son..." lmao that is a typo! I wish they had an edit section for replies lol.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:12 PM on Aug. 24, 2009