Should daycare have a potty training procedure?

Ok, my daycare has been open since Jan. Owner is sweet as can be, but kind of clueless when it comes to actual organization of the place. My daughter's teacher just left, so they put a new teacher in her class this past Monday. (One year old room btw) I started potty training my daughter this past weekend, and new teacher couldnt even tell me how often the other girl in class was being put on potty (she has been "training" for 6 months, so I'm not sure whats going on there) I left it up to them today and left 5 pullups there (uses 4 diapers through day, maybe 5). Her father picked her up so when I finally saw her sheet for day..they only put her on potty 3 times (twice in morn, once in afternoon), and used 3 pullups..Didnt say whther she had actually gone or not..nothing. So I'm kinda pissed. So I am wondering, do most daycares have a written procedure for how potty training will be done? Really frustrated right now....

lilmama2be

Asked by lilmama2be at 11:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I can personally tell you that it is very hard to potty train a bunch of little ones. I would work with your little one at home as much as possible especially over the weekends and see how she is progressing. Some try to take the kids every 30 min but with a lot of kids if you do that there is time for nothing but going to the bathroom. And some of the kids in the class may not be potty training so that adds to the frustration. I had a training potty in my classroom but I felt it was kind of unsanitary. would maybe talk to the teacher and ask her what all she has going on.I
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• at the daycare i work at.... if the parent tells us they are potty training then we will take them to go when we change diapers ( every 2 hours) , unless they let us know they have to go.... We write if they were wet and went or tried of if dry and tried or went.
    maybe just let them know that you want to know if she tried or went..... GL
    LizaJayne

Answer by LizaJayne at 11:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• treynlisa...My thing is the limit this teacher has in her class without help is 4 kids (as per state regulation). I would totally understand if she had a bunch of little ones, but there is only 4..two can go on the potty at the same time. And there is always an extra person around to step in to watch the other 2 kids.

LizaJayne...it gives me something to consider actually...it's just annoying that they don't even have that much for a procedure...Thanks for the reply

she is the first one who will be actively training in the daycare, so maybe they don't know what procedure should be?
    lilmama2be

Answer by lilmama2be at 11:39 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Is this a daycare center, or an in-home day care? Where i'm from, most in-home day cares only have a policy that the children have to wear diapers or pull-ups until they are fully potty trained and accidents are just that...accidents...as in once in a blue moon deal. My older DD's attended an in-home day care, and they also didn't have a policy, or sheet regarding how many times they were put on the potty, but they must have done something right because my girls were potty trained in less than a month of starting. My 2nd DD was the easiest.

I do however think that a policy should be in place. The parents need to know how they're handling the situation. If they have some kind of schedule, it would be nice if both the daycare and the parents could get on the same one...consistency is important during potty training, and it's best not to throw the children off course.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:02 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• milfalicious08...It is a group center, where the most kids they have in her room is 4. It just seems very inconsistant to say the least (hence my frustration..) I like how you worded the thing about the policy (my mind wouldn't find the right words lol I'm tired..). That's what I want to discuss with the owner :)
    lilmama2be

Answer by lilmama2be at 12:07 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Yeah with only four kids and someone to watch the other 2 she should be able to get more done I had 6 in my class and half the parents werent worried about potty training. I never had any help to get the kids to the bathroom either. She should have a better plan worked out, I would talk to the owner or director to see what could be worked out.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:41 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Wait until you have a long weekend, or take a few days off work. Put her in undies only. Take her to potty every 1/2 hour or so. The first day will be many accidents. After that, she'll catch on. It should only take 2-3 days. Then just send her in underwear only. Pull-ups only confuse things.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:29 PM on Aug. 25, 2009