Do you have a pet mouse?

Are they hard to take care of? Can you take them out and play with them?

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 11:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Pets

• I did when I was a kid- I had several over the years. They are not terribly hard to take care of- fresh food and water, change the cage weekly. Make sure they have a wheel because they are active little guys. You can take them out and play with them, but be warned- mice can run! They really do not sit still, the will run from hand to hand, up your arm, etc. You have to be vigilant to keep up with them! My recommendations are to get a baby (so it will get accustomed to you and because they do not live all that long) and to handle them often as babies so that they are tame and friendly and want to be picked up. Both males and females make good pets, but having had both I can say that the males have a lot more of that rodent smell and need to be cleaned more often. HTH- you can message me if you want to know anything else!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I also had mice when I was younger. I then got into pet rats, which are even more fun lol.. I had one guy named socrates(yes, from the movie). I had him so well trained I would let him walk on the floor and he would follow my scent everywhere. Wouldn't leave my side. Mice aren't as smart and are quick to want to run so be careful and as the above suggested, getting a baby is the smart choice.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 2:40 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I've never had mice, but have had (and still have) rats. They are awesome pets. Not hard to take care of at all. I would think mice aren't much different than rats...only smaller. lol Be sure to get two (same sex unless you want lots of babies) so they always have a buddy to cuddle/play with.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:18 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I used to have mice, they are fun critters to have. It's fun to watch them play and dig around in their cages. I used to take my mice out and "play" with them, lol. They are stinky animals, their cages have to be cleaned and washed often, but they are fun to have. I would reccomend having only females, because they breed and have LOTS of babies! I had three females and a male (he was suppose to be a female) and I ended up with 43 babies the 1st time they all got pregnant, lol.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 9:25 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I had mice as well. I loved them and miss them. I let mine have a litter, only had five so I was lucky that was all, but I kept the babies and they became so extremely tame, they were the sweetest little guys, they never even tried to run. I could hold them in one hand, pet with the other and they'd just sit there. I even had one that liked to lick it was so cute. I prefer females to males because they dont have nearly the odor the males have though oddly enough males seemed to be more laid back. However I actually had a wild male mouse get in with my two female mice and got them both pregnant each having like 11 babies each and they were so wild cause I couldn't tame them all, had to go to a pet store :( But yes get a baby female is my suggestion :)
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 4:16 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Use a glass aquarium with a nice tight lid (but wire for ventilation) because he squeezed into the bars of the wire cage I had my girls in in order to breed them, he appeared to young to breed but they can breed as young as like 5 or 6 weeks, and you dont want to breed mice, especially with a wild mouse!
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 4:21 AM on Aug. 28, 2009