Weird Bump

I have a bump on the top of my arm that's been there for almost three years. It's really hard. It doesn't pop, it's just there. Sometimes it looks white on the tip, sometimes it's just bright red, and if I don't mess with it for a long time, it'll get almost flesh colored. I wanna have it taken off, so I was wondering, does anybody know how doctors removed things like this? Also does anybody have any idea what it could be? It doesn't hurt, actually I have no feeling at all right on top of the bump. Any suggestions???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Health

• if it is in an area that is visible to the public leave it alone or you will be left with a scar. do not squeeze it because if and when you do decide to have it removed your past squeezing will cause it to be harder to remove. it is most likely a sebaceous cyst or a fatty cyst or a very large inclusion cyst. i wish i had a picture!! a sebaceous cyst is a closure of the sebum gland, the gland will continue to produce its waxy substance but cannot leave the skin, kinda like a zit. continual squeezing or playing with it will cause it to become infected and then you will have to see a doctor for removal and ATB-Rx. A fatty tumor will usually not grow larger and can be left there forever if you choose.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:27 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• i have one too! dont know what it is though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• No suggestions but I have something similar so if you find out what it is please let us know. Mine went from a bump to flat and now it's kind of a mole. Nothing that suggests skin cancer and it doesn't bother me so I've done nothing about it.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 11:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i am so tempted to get a razor blade and just cut this sucker open! there's gotta be something in there!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• lol. yeah if you find out let us know, and dont cut it, i was tempted to do it with mine but what if it bleeds like alot??? or theres so god awful stinky gunk in there? gross! i just deal with my, it doesnt hurt, its just there
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• This is what to expect, the first time it pops, usually in the 20s, but for some people 30's, or 40's it will swell up, and eventually pop (it won't pop until its ready, usually when it is painful). The puss that comes out of it will smell awful. It will continue to drain for several days, but eventually it will stop. Then it will have a period in time when it is dormant and then flare up again. If the pain is too much for you, go to a doctor, even if it is just a community clinic.
    Yes it can be removed, surgically, but I still have mine. I don't have time or funds to have surgary and recover. But it can be removed.
    Just keep the area clean, use heat therapy (put a warm washcloth on the area for about 5 minutes), and after it pops, take a shower and put a large bandaide over the opening to catch the drainage. If it is painful, I recommend taking a pain reliever like tylonol or alive.
    Super-mom-me

Answer by Super-mom-me at 2:27 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• It is a cyst
    Super-mom-me

Answer by Super-mom-me at 2:28 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• It could also be a fatty tumor. (Don't let the word tumor scare you.) It is a lump of fat that grows in a round shape. It can be a sebaceous cyst. Go to the doctor to check it out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:52 AM on Aug. 25, 2009