Moving with a 3 yr old?

Hello! My 3.5 yr old and I have been living with my parents in one bedroom for her whole life. She is very close with them. Next week we are moving in with her father (we are patching things up- were together 8 yrs last year we were on a break). She will have her own room for the first time in her life. We will be living about 20 minutes away from here. Next week she also starts school (Monday -Friday 8-3. It's a lot for her to adjust to. I am going to keep a good relationship with my parents (right now it is a little strained because they don't really want me back with my bf- long story) and go to their house as much as possible (as well as have them over my home). But any suggestions to make this big change easier for her would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Has she seen the new house and her room? My oldest (3.5 years) loves his routines and has a hard time with new things. I dread moving and am hoping we will be able to take him to see his new house when we do move. I would talk about it a lot and maybe have her "help" place her things in the room. Let her pick out the sheets for her bed. Stuff like that.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:21 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• let her decorate her room (pick the colors, etc.) and get her really hyped about being a big girl and having her own room and everything
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:21 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• just did this kinda, we lived w/my parents from when my dd was 10 months til now and she's 3 1/2. i took her to the new house showed her her new room, and brought as much over as possible before the actual move date (clothes wise, toys etc..) had the whole room set up except 3 boxes and her bed before we even slept here that way the second she came her stuff was ready for her and when she went to bed it was HER room not a strange empty room. she also picked out her new "decor" and told me where she wanted things. she "helped" hang pictures by saying where, she helped pick where furniture was going etc...she also spends the night now about once every other week w/grandma and loves it b/c now grandma really can spoil her w/o me being there going no way (you know the staying up late, candy all day etc type of stuff that would not happen on a normal basis so didn't happen when we lived there). even if you aren't on good terms CONT
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:25 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• CONT w/your parents, ask if they would want to do sleepovers or special days w/your dd that way she still gets to see them as much as possible. as far as the sleeping in her own room, put her in her own room the first night and if it works it works, if not maybe let her fall asleep in your room than move her to hers until she is ready to start the night in her own room. make it all an adventure. even the school thing, let her pick out her book bag and some school clothes. i was so worried how my daughter would react to not being around my mom and younger brother all the time, but we have not had a problem yet and its been about a month now.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:28 AM on Aug. 25, 2009