"Never let a good crisis go to waste"?

Aug. 24 (Bloomberg) -- Swine flu may infect half the U.S. population this year, hospitalize 1.8 million patients and lead to as many as 90,000 deaths, more than twice the number killed in a typical seasonal flu, White House advisers said.

In a report by the President’s Council of Advisers on Science and Technology, President Barack Obama today was urged to speed vaccine production and name a senior member of the White House staff, preferably the homeland security adviser, to take responsibility for decision-making on the pandemic. Initial doses should be accelerated to mid-September to vaccinate as many as 40 million people, the advisory group said.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Seriously??? Maybe I should be panicking, but I just don't see what the big deal is? It wasn't as bad as they thought it would be and yet we are panicking and screaming again?
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• A few years ago everyone was in a panic about the bird flu. People panic too damn much these days.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 11:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Wasn't Obama in Mexico when the swine flu hit there? Maybe he bottled it up, took it home with him, and plans on infecting half the nation...just in time for his Obamacare to come in and give everyone the cure. how ironic. hmmm. I smell a pig...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I'm more afraid of the vaccine than the flu.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Well, realistically because there is very limited immunity in the population more people will catch this than seasonal flu and even if death rates are similar to seasonal flu more people will die because more people are infected. However, the southern hemisphere is just finishing up their flu season and although they had a bad flu season with H1N1 as the dominant strain, they didn't see half their population infected and didn't see a staggering death rate (ie. death rate was similar to seasonal flu.) Do I think that this is a threat? Honestly, yes- I don't want me or my family to be one of the small percentage who gets sick and dies. We're going to wash our hands a lot and will likely get vaccinated when a vaccine becomes available. But I also think the media likes to run with the worst case scenario. Freaked out people buy more papers.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I work in a hospital. I'm pretty open minded when it comes to vaccines, understanding the concerns parents have (I work in the nicu, so we give lots of vaccines to the long termers and do loads of teaching).
    Anyhow, I do not get employee mandated flu shots-I lie and say I have an egg allergy.

Well, last week while visiting my husband in Chicago we both came down with a horrible flu. Could have been H1N1- we were too sick to seek treatment. My husband was in bed for 48 hours, asleep for 36, with that moist, productive cough and fever of 103. I was just as bad. I was actually rethinking the whole vaccine approach. I more day and I would have hauled both of our butts to the nearest urgent care. Of course, I had to be back in CA this morning, so I flew last night, infecting another group of ppl.

I told my husband at 50+ we have to be more diligent-ppl in our age group die from this sort of illness.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Of course, I had to be back in CA this morning, so I flew last night, infecting another group of ppl.

gee thanks! I sincerely hope you did not infect someone who will die from the flu you had. How selfish!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

Ditto. As a health professional you should know better. That is not only sick, but it is terribly irresponsible.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:08 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Talk about trying to strike fear in people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Aug. 25, 2009