how to get my 18 month old to stop waking up at night for a bottle

GutierrezMommy

Asked by GutierrezMommy at 11:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• put water in it.. it's not as exciting and hopefully he/she will end up realizing it isn't worth waking up for
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 11:30 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• stop giving them a bottle in the middle of the night.....they will go back to sleep. just ignore them. it will take about a week for them to catch on, but i think that's the best way
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:16 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I agree with the other 2, if she cries tryu CIO for about half an hour, to no avail? Give her water. Doesn't want it? Let her cry it out some more. Then if it still doesn't work, offer water again. I know it sounds annoying and ridiculous but thats what I would do! I started giving my son water because he is now getting teeth and milk is bad for teeth if bottle stays in mouth for a long time, so I've read, and anyways, after about a week of giving him water, he just stopped it altogether!
    AidensMommy20

Answer by AidensMommy20 at 12:57 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• move to a sippy cup.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Just take it away and in a few days it will be forgotten. Don't move to a sippy cup, then you'll be waking up to bring a sippy cup:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I took my daughters bottle and formula away at a year old and she never cared, she loved her sippy more actually. She sleeps through the night, has since probably 6 months or so, I quit getting up to give her anything and eventually she quit waking up to get it. Sometimes she still wakes up at night randomly, I just help her get back to sleep and shes fine. At 18 months they dont need to eat in the middle of the night, and really only need something to drink if its hot. Generally speaking they dont need anything at night but sleep lol. though I've discovered my 16 month old wakes up at night when she has to pee, so I'm going to start limiting fluids before bed so i can start potty training. Definatly get rid of the bottle though and just help your little one get back to sleep at night with out drinking anything.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 5:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2009