What's Good?

I have a 7mnth old Golden Retriever an she is a picky eater I have got her to eat Alpo but the bags are small an well she is getting big,lol, and was wondering if anyone has a Retriever an could tell me, something different to try that comes in a biggger size,lol?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Pets

• My Mastiff has to have different food - because he has allergies to corn (which is the primary staple in most dog foods - go figure). I found a brand called Bil-Jac - the stuff stinks to high heaven, but he likes it and my Chihuahua likes it as well - and she is a VERY picky eater. But don't get it wet - it turns to mush. LOL
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:25 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• You can try any of the foods made by Natura. They're much better than Alpo and all the other grocery store brands. They are more expensive, but you feed less of it because there are no fillers, no corn and no by-products. My 70lb boxer/pit bull gets 2 cups a day and his weight is perfect. Your dog will also be a lot healthier, with a shinier coat (a big plus for retrievers as they have long fur) and will have less digestive problems later on. You can go to Naturapet.com to do a pet food comparison and to find out where to get it. :)
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 1:54 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I agree with SarahLeeMorgan. Here are a few other high quality foods.
    http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/
    http://www.diamondpet.com/products/diamond_naturals
    http://www.canidae.com/
    http://www.bluebuff.com/products/dogs/index.shtml

Check this site to find/compare lots more. I would stay in the 4 to 6 star range. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:15 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• We feed our dogs Pedigree. It comes in 40 pound bags, it cost $21.00 at wal-mart. We have Labs and they do very well on the food. The vet says that they are all very healthy. It's probably not the best food out there, but our dogs do well with it. I can't afford to feed our dogs the real high quality food, it just cost too much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• High quality food may cost more at first, but you feed a lot less, so in the end you end up paying about the same (and sometimes LESS) by buying the high quality food.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• some dog will always be picky. lets just say they won't starve themselves. my poodle is the same way not matter what we try she takes all day to eat one bowl and will often leave her second bowl over night. i have tried both the high quality and bought that just as often as the cheaper one so i'm not sure i believe that you feed them less or less amounts cause i feed them the same as i did when we fed the dog the more expensive and then the cheaper. we buy twice a month like clock work.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• oh and even giving her wet dog food didn't make her eat any better. she just licked it and would eat at her usual pace or stay just as picky.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• melody77 - Have you tried limiting her time for eating? Put her food down for 15-20 minutes. If she doesn't eat, pick it up and don't give it back until the next feeding. She will eventually realize that if she doesn't eat, she'll be hungry until the next feeding. Like you said...they won't starve themselves. :)
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:48 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• As much as some food snobs want to complain about grocery store foods, there are decent products made by Purina and Pedigree. You need to learn to read labels as well as find something your dog will eat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• We have a Great Dane and a Cocker Spaniel. We feed them Beneful and Healthy Morsels. We have always been very cautious of what we feed the dogs and they love the Purina and Pedigree foods. We switch out the 2nd type of food every few months so they will still get the Beneful but maybe Pedigree instead of the Healthy Morsels. We leave the food out all day for them, so we fill their bowls up in the mornings and then maybe if there empty we'll give them more at night. We've never had a problem with it. Our Great Dane is 125 lbs and the Cocker Spaniel is 40 lbs. Between the 2 of them they go thru about 70-80 lbs every 6 weeks.
    jessicazeksmom

Answer by jessicazeksmom at 4:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2009