How would you approach this??

My kids are the only non-christians in their school, at least the only I know of (it is a tiny school). None the less, dd said something today that may be her imagination but it is concerning to me. She said that at snack time they had to fold their hands and say a prayer, but it wasn't the same prayer that we say for eating. Now, I don't want to create problems, but it bothers me a bit that they may be having her pray in a manner I don't agree with, namely if they refer to Jesus. Since we are not Christian that would bother me. Mind you if they are doing just a catch all type of prayer, I don't agree with it but it wouldn't anger me because I know where I live. So how do I approach the teacher with this without creating problems? This may or may not have happened as dd said, she tends to not understand alot of what happens around her. But if it did happen it needs to stop. How would you approach the teacher?

Petie

Asked by Petie at 11:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would just approach it really casually and say something like: "Dd was trying to tell me about the prayer you said before snack the other day but couldn't remember the whole thing. What prayer was it again?" That way you get the info in a non-confrontational manner and can then decide how to proceed and whether you have a concern or not.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Well, did your DD say if it was teacher lead or student lead? That might make a difference. Or at least, it would for me.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Is it a Christian school?
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Well, dd is only 6 and is autistic so getting details is difficult. So she didn't say, she just said they do this before snack time. I don't get it which is why I need a non-confrontational way to approach it.

No, it is not a Christian school, it is public. If it was a Christian school I would expect christian prayer.

Freela, I like that idea. But then how do I move, worse case, from curiosity to correction?
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I was going to ask too if it's a Christian School. If it is, than you would need to expect a prayer to be said before snacks or meals. But, since you're non-christian, I assume you would not put them in a Christian school. We are kind of going through the opposite. My son started kindergarten today at a public school, and at lunch, a teacher came around to his class and told them all NOT to pray and to just eat. I understand that prayer is not practiced in public schools the way it used to be, but, I feel if my son wanted to say a quiet prayer to himself, than she should not discourage it. I immediately sent a very respectful, non-confrontational email to his teacher wanting to be assured that he would NOT be reprimanded if he wanted to silently pray before lunch. Just know that it probably will be a tight subject to discuss, but, bring it up in a respectful, non-confrontation manner.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 11:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• If it turns out that this was a very Christian denominational prayer, I would probably say something like: "Oh! You may not realize it, but our family is not Christian. We practice 'x' faith. I don't want my dd being taught Christian prayers, but I have no objection to a moment of silence/a non-denominational prayer/whatever else you find acceptable.

Though I haven't run into this particular issue, I went through a miserable time when my ds started jk and I found it has worked better to go in to talk to the teacher under the guise of curiosity or polite disapproval than to go in with all guns blazing. Though I'm not adverse to pulling out the big guns if the polite method doesn't get any results! Good luck- let us know what happens!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:50 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Horrible just horrible! The poor thing had to fold her little hands and be ruined by a prayer. And we are all for sure that you just do not want to create problems. Call the cops, call the UCLA your poor child had to actually say a little prayer. What will you do when they have the bible back in the schools? You are not in Kansas anymore my dear!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• anon 15.
    first off, stop being an ass
    Second, they will NEVER have the bibles back in our public school systems.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:21 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• If it were me, I'd volunteer to help out one day & see for myself what the practice is before snacktime. If you bring it up to them in passing conversation, it might send up a red flag & they'll deny it. At least if you're there, you'll know what's going on.

If it turns out they ARE praying, call the superintendent and remind him/her of the law.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:32 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Anon :15 I had a response typed, posted and decided to delete it because I am not willing to derail this question because of your response.

Petie

Answer by Petie at 2:14 AM on Aug. 25, 2009