How many fishsticks can two kids eat?!

All my one year old and three year old wants to eat is fishsticks. I've been making them vegatables (carrots, peas, greenbeans, etc.) to go with them but seriously, the only meat I can get in them is fishsticks. Doesn't seem too healthy to me. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Food & Drink

• with my daughter, she only wants peanut butter sandwiches so the deal is that i make her a plate of whatever was made for dinner, she has to eat/try at least what is on her plate (normally a meat, veggie and fruit) and if she eats all of it or at least tries it and really doesn't like it than i'll make her the sandwich, most of the time she finds out she likes whatever it is she refused to try in the first place and eats that, sometimes she doesn't like it and still wants a sandwich but this way i at least get her to try other foods and get the veggies in her before she eats just a sandwich for dinner. shes 3 1/2 and i can't do the go to bed hungry thing, she's just too young for that in my opinion.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:11 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Yes, it is good that they will eat fish sticks, however, I wouldn't give it to them every night. They will come to expect it at every meal and not be open to new foods. We always give our kids what we make for that night whether we think they'll eat it or not. If they don't eat, than they go hungry. Also No Eat...No Treat! If they do not eat the majority of their plate, than they DO NOT get a dessert. If you do not like the idea of nixing the fish sticks altogether, maybe give them one or two fish sticks along with another meat as well as the veggies. DO NOT give them a dessert unless & until they eat several bites of the other meat AND the veggies. OR if they do not care about a dessert and only want the fish, do not give them the fish sticks they so badly want unless & until they eat a substantial amount of the meat or veggies FIRST. Either way, stay strong and DO NOT give in. They WILL eat when they are hungry enough.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 11:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• First of all, meat is not necessary for humans, Second, these tofu fishsticks are probably healthier than what you are feeding your child (and don't have any mercury to poison that little brain): http://shmooedfood.blogspot.com/2006/01/tofu-fish-sticks.html

Answer by rkoloms at 11:15 AM on Aug. 25, 2009