Alpo Dog Food

okay i have been trying to find a dog food that my Golden reteriver will eat an so far i hav found one an it is Alpo, but you dont see much on the net about this brand of dog food, is it a good brand or should i try a different brand an if so which one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Pets

• Basically if you can buy it at walmart or a grocery store it is not good food. Alpo is probably one of the worst foods. It is full of fillers and not much that the dog actually needs. If you are looking for a grocery food try purina one. It is the best grocery food. Pro-plan is the best of the better brands and I am now feeding "call of the wild" which has no grain in it and salmon based. Alpo causes a lot of digestive issues too. (I am an ex-vet tech and took pet nutrition classes) As far as getting him to eat, put the food out for about an hour a day at the same time everyday. If he is hungry he will eat. Do not give ANY treats or table food until he is eating his dry food. Don't worry dogs do not starve themselves. He is only being picky because you are allowing it. He will be fine and eat anything if that is the only thing offered.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 11:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I agree with the previous poster (Carajust). Alpo is horrible. Your dog probably likes that food b/c it has the gravy taste to it. My dog used to eat Kibbles and Bits. It is what all dogs I've ever owned ate. Then I adopted a dog that had genetic mange (sp?) so the vet suggested we change his food. he is now on Science Diet Sensitive Skin (which also is not so good for them b/c it has A LOT of corn in it). But since my dog has so many skin problems, I tried that and haven't had any problems and I won't try anything else for fear he will have horrible skin problems again. Your vet will typically suggest Science Diet (they kind of have to) but if you would like to change the food, they have doggy gravies you can buy for them to get them to start eating their food. Liek PP said, your dog will eat when he/she is hungry, he/she will not starve themselves. Be sure to slowly mix the new and old food to get them used to it.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:03 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I replied to your earlier post:
    You can try any of the foods made by Natura. They're much better than Alpo and all the other grocery store brands. They are more expensive, but you feed less of it because there are no fillers, no corn and no by-products. My 70lb boxer/pit bull gets 2 cups a day and his weight is perfect. Your dog will also be a lot healthier, with a shinier coat (a big plus for retrievers as they have long fur) and will have less digestive problems later on. You can go to Naturapet.com to do a pet food comparison and to find out where to get it. :)

Also, something I didn't mention in the other post is that if you buy any Natura food products and your dog doesn't like it and you've tried to get him to eat it for a few days, most places will give you a full refund. It's really an amazing food and I highly recommend it!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 1:57 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Alpo is not healthy for dogs. Anything you find at Walmart or the grocery store is not. You will need to check specialy pet stores, feed stores, or "mom-and-pop" pet stores. If you are looking for a decent food at a decent price, try Diamond Naturals (not regular Diamond...it has to be one of the Naturals formulas). It has no wheat, no corn, no soy, and not too many fillers. It also has a REAL, NAMED meat (in meal form) as the FIRST ingredient. I can get it locally for $31.95 for 40#. If you are willing to spend a little bit more, you can get Taste of the Wild (also made by Diamond). It is grain-free and has NO fillers and nothing artificial and has LOTS of meat. I can get it locally for $42.50 for 30#. This is what I'm currently feeding (the salmon formula called Pacific Stream) and my 25lb dog eats less than 1 cup/day and my 37lb dog only eats 1.75 cups/day. The 30# bag lasts us about 6wks.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:03 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:04 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Okay, I've fed my dog Alpo for years and years. My dog goes to the vet every 6 months for check ups and the vet says that my dog is a very healthy dog. My dog has a great weight, a nice coat, is active . . . I see nothing wrong with the food.
    It may not be the best food on the market, but I don't think it's a horrible dog food either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Have those of you recommending Taste of the Wild noticed a major recall lately???
    Lots of vomiting dogs reported. Related to the salmon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I'd definatly suggest the Diamond Naturals, they are one of the cheaper foods that are still good quality. There is also the Chicken Soup foods, yes named after the books like Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul. A dog will definatly eat less and be healthier and have smaller less stinky poos when on a better diet. I simply can't afford the real high end foods, as the dogs still eat the same whether its Diamond Naturals or one of the super expensive ones, but they do really well on this. As far as Alpo even if your dog appears healthy, does he poo a lot, does it stink really bad, does he have gas? He also just may show the lack of a good food by not living as long. For a long time before I went to school for Vet Assistant and took a nutrition class I though Ol'Roy was ok and then moved up to Purina dog chow, well they appeared ok on this food, but when I switched to Diamond Naturals they looked even better, acted better.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 4:07 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• And one of my dogs was a senior dog who had been a bit lazy, but he started being a bit more active and having a shinier coat when i switched. Maybe if he had been on a better all his life he would have lived even longer (though he was almost 14 when he died) I think that if I never switched him he may not have lived even that long.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 4:08 AM on Aug. 28, 2009