Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kindergarten for one, preschool for the other...?

(This won't happen until next year, I just plan ahead!)
My son has some speech issues, and definite attention/hyperactivity issues. The speech isn't enough for special education preschool, and the potential ADHD is NOT diagnosed, and merely suspected at this point. He does currently go to a preschool 3hrs/day - 3days/wk. I anticipate the attention issue to remain the same, or get worse.
Next year, he will go to kindergarten. I can either send him to the half-day public option, or the full day option. The full day will be difficult to afford, but I think that being in that setting may be beneficial.
But, if he does go to full day, his little sister will not be able to go to school until 4yo Pre-K. She is typical, and very bright, very smart, and I think she'll be fine waiting until she's 4, if it's necessary. I put my son in school at 3yo because he needed another learning option - and it helps him a lot. What would you do?

Answer Question

Asked by Jeiao at 11:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • put him in public and put her in public next year.
    they will work with him and get him aids if he needs it.God Bless!

    Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:50 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

  • We don't have a public preschool option where I live. The only preschool I can afford right now is a Lutheran preschool, and it's 3 hours a day, 3 days a week. If I put my daughter in the 3yo class at the preschool, I cannot afford to send my son to full-day kindergarten, and if I send him to full-day kindergarten, she cannot go to 3yo preschool. It's one or the other. I kind of think he needs it more than her, but at the same time, she would love it, and he'd probably be okay...I just don't know how to choose!

    Answer by Jeiao at 11:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

  • I think you should put your son in all day kindergarden. And wait to put your dd in until she's 4. I think your son will benefit from the extra schooling, and it sounds like your dd will be just fine waiting a year.

    Answer by robinann5 at 12:28 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

  • If you still feel next year (or at whatever time of year you need to make the definite decision for enrollments) that it will be beneficial for him to go all day I would do that. We also do not have a public preschool option here and for financial reasons none of our kids have gone to preschool until age 4 and it has worked out just fine for us :-)

    Answer by SahmTam at 4:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.