Why don't men listen to their spouse but will listen to everyone else?

My hubby never takes my advice on anything but as soon as someone else comes along and says the same thing, he listens.
I never understood this.
Anyone else ever been through this?

JayRo00

Asked by JayRo00 at 11:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• I'm sure there are different answers to your question, but I think the primary reason men don't listen to their wives is because wives do not show their husbands the respect that every man craves from her. Women have subtle little ways of putting their husbands down and they don't even realize they are doing it. Men today are portrayed as being stupid and inept, and they don't like it, especially when it comes from their wives. The guys at work have a mutual respect for one another, so whenever they need to make decisions, they are able to hear each other's opinions. When the respect is lacking on the part of the wife, it is reciprocated by the husband so that he does not respect the opinions of his wife. The way to fix this is by admiring your husband to his face and in his presence to others, by telling him that you appreciate him and all that he does for you and the family, and by not putting him down at any time.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:54 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• yep, I tell my adult daughters to just "plant the seed". No matter what the men will never let it be the wife's idea. He will say it's his or a friend's idea and when other's say it, it's a great idea! . Not sure why men do that.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• No, my hubby and I always discuss everything before we do anything, and if anyone gives him advise about anything he brings it to me first.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:01 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• they are men they think they are always right, try not helping him out next time he asks for advice just say " im not sure honey, you will have to ask someone else on that one" watch his reaction. you will get more of a kick out of that, the getting frustrated
    jax533

Answer by jax533 at 12:02 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• mine does that about 50% of the time. the other times, i stick a magazine or newspaper article in the bathroom w/whatever my idea was in the first place, and pull out everything else, so when hes in there he reads it and gets a "great idea honey" to try something (money wise, kids wise, house whatever it is..) and insists it was his idea, i of course don't argue b/c i've been doing this for 5 yrs and he's yet to figure it out....so i let him think it was his idea
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:03 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• It's because we're female. We don't have brains. lol..next time just tell him you're not going to offer advice unless he takes it and gives you the credit for it. Just wait and see how far he gets without your advice. Men are smart but behind every smart man is an even smarter woman.
    prcd_n_tatd

Answer by prcd_n_tatd at 12:04 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• For some reason they are still stuck in the 1950's and think women cannot think for themselves. Every so often I ill suggest something to my husband, and it will go in one ear....the next day a guy at work tells him the same thing, and he thinks it's a brilliant idea...WTH
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:05 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I've never understood that. I'm glad my husband and I respect each other and we listen to each other. Sorry for your situation. I would get a new husband.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• lol@ get a new husband... yea like that's easy!
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:58 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• YES! My husband does that to me all the time (well, used to anyway). LOL I could say something and he'd blow it off but if someone else said the EXACT same thing 5 minutes later, my husband would be like "WOW! That's so right (insert appropriate response)." Ahhh! Frustrating. But I got him not to long ago. I knew I had given him this paper and he swore I didn't. I told him I watched him put it in his bag. He insisted he didn't have it. Then he pulled a magazine out of his bag and the paper fell out. I SO got on to him about that! He hasn't done it since, but we shall see if that continues. LOL
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 1:07 AM on Aug. 25, 2009