Muslems, Jews, and Adventists...

Why no pork?

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 12:25 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm none of the above but, I knew someone who was SDA & someone else who was a Messianic Jew & they both said things about pigs & other "bottom feeders" like shellfish & shrimp & whatnot being "unclean". I heard once that pigs will eat anything, including garbage, so my non-religious view would be that they didn't eat creatures that could make them sick potentially. I think it has to do with treating ones body as a temple. Sorry to anyone of those faiths if I'm wrong.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 12:41 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• For Muslims.. In folklore terms, eating the meat of the pig is said to contribute to lack of morality and shame, plus greed for wealth, laziness, indulgence, dirtiness and gluttony. We insult a person by calling him or her a "Pig" when they demonstrate these characteristics.

It's actually believed that eating pork is forbidden for Jews and Christians. Quote from the Old Testament to that effect: "And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase." Deuteronomy 14:8

There's vast explanations as to why Jews and Muslims do not eat pork - from trying to describe it "rationally." I.E. - pigs contain the flu virus, one of the most famous illnesses which pigs share with humans. This illness is harbored in the lungs of pigs during the summer months and tends to affect pigs and humans in the cooler months.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 12:36 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• As for other - some believe it's a devout way of showing the believers from the non-believers...
    I'm not Jewish, or Muslim... or an Adventist - however, this is just from reading around and getting the opinion from some friends that ARE Jewish or Muslim.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 12:37 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Yep, I was going to add that too.
    They virtually considered pigs with rats.
    They scavenged for any type of food. garbage - rotting foods... anything - just like rats.
    And they carry a lot of toxins around - and most people... I don't know if this was back in the day or not - would not properly cook the pork - and would get sick quite often from it.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 12:46 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• BubbaLuva, you are correct. SDA's do not eat pork because of the Biblical prohibition concerning animals that were "unclean." Lev. 11 The animals prohibited are mainly bottom-feeders which eat dirt and garbage and poo. Many Adventists avoid these prohibitions by eating a vegetarian diet. This has also been shown to have greater benefit on one's health. Check out the Blue Zones, there is only one in the USA and it is in Loma Linda, CA, an area known for its large Adventist population. With advancements in technology many of these prohibitions seem daunting and needless today but that is not how we (SDA's) see it. We strive to live according to Bible principles, Old and New testament, to the best of our abilities. We strive to live our faith daily and these prohibitions are a daily reminder of our surrender to the will and desire of God.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 1:02 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• As my Rabbi explains it so well, Because G-d says so. Seriously there are reasons that have come out SINCE the law was given but originally and even now, it comes down to one thing. G-d says so.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 2:15 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• What Petie and momof3inTN said.

Leviticus 11 explains which animals are fit for food, and which are not. There are also laws against the eating of blood and fat. Eating animal fat is a known cause of many health issues, and bacteria and disease usually thrive in both blood and fat. I eat a kosher diet, but mostly vegetarian because it's less expensive. It's easier to be of service to God and others when in good health. God made these bodies and He knows what's best for fueling them.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:42 AM on Aug. 25, 2009