never ending hunger?

My son is 8 and i swear from the moment he was born he has been eating non stop! I feed him a full dinner more than most 8 y/o will eat and 30 minutes later he is hungry! it is like this all day every day i hear "I'm hungry" "I'm still hungry" He is not over weight he is acutally a skinny kid. I have to feed him alot of food in the mornings so he will make it to lunch, a few years ago he would ask school staff for snacks so I started making him eat a larger breakfast. Has anyone gone through this? Does anyone have any solutions? The pediatrician says there is nothing wrong with him, he is just a growing boy. We have tried fiber drinks that help you feel fuller, I am at my wit's end and my grocery bills is screaming at me.

3_ring_circus_

Asked by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:51 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Make him get a job and help with the groceries? LOL. Just kidding. My son will be 8 next month. I feel your pain.

For breakfast, he gets cereal or oatmeal (2-3 packets if we do the instant or 2 servings of the quick cook) and a smoothie I make for him with the Carnation Instant Breakfast, whole milk, and yogurt.

For lunch, I make him pretty much what ever he wants. Today it was a lunchable, with Ritz crackers, honey roasted ham, cheddar and pepper jack cheese (I make my own lunchables, those others are just nasty), 2 apples, a handful of carrot sticks, a handful of celery sticks, and he buys his milk at school. Yesterday's lunch was leftover taco stuff: I put the meat, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes all in separate things with 4 hard taco shells and he made his own. (I also sent pretty much the same sides.) The lunch ladies know he's got a big appetite, so they give him extra.

After school snack is usually (Con't.)
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 1:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• (Con't) another one of the Carnation smoothies.

Dinner I make him a plate the same size I make for my husband.

(Oh, I should have said earlier he's a little underweight and under height for his age, despite the way he eats, and the doc said it's just because he was 5 weeks early, that it'll take a bit for him to catch up.)

I shop the sales at my grocery store, sometimes hitting 2 of them to get the good sales, and I use a lot of coupons. Both of the stores I shop at have Club Card things on top of the coupons, and it will save me a lot of money most of the time. I buy in bulk when I can, and I'm lucky enough he likes left-overs, so if I make a big meal the night before, I know I've got food for him.

Soup in a thermos is always good, too. (I don't know about yours, but mine will eat an entire can of that Thick and Hearty!!) Add some fruit or veggies and crackers on the side, and he should do pretty good.

Good luck!!
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 1:51 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• sounds like an overactive thyroid, have it checked
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I'll ask the doctor to retest his thyroid, I know that it can show up the closer children get to puberty so maybe she just missed it the last time we had test run. Thanks anon.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Thanks debra you sound like me lol I shop in bulk use coupons make larger meals jsut to keep up. Last night i made homade soup int he crock pot while we were gone to sports then when we camp home i have 6 cups of soup ready for dinner and he ate about 4 cups on his own there was zucchini, carrots, potatos, and meat. He stillw anted more but i had to make sure there was some for my husand when he got home from work i finally gave him bread to help fill him. I started making his lunches last year, he was in tears because the school's portions are not enough for him and the lunches i make sound a lot like yours (btw i make my own lunchables too lol I hate the store bought ones). It makes me feel better that I am not the only one going throuh this, I knwo he is growing and both sides of our family have tall sturdy boys. my side of the family has mean almost 7 foot tall my husbands side has men who top out at 6 foot 7 inches
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• sorry typed that really fast I meant "men" lol not mean. My cousin was exactly like my son he ate all the time drove my aunt insane and he is huge now and a firefighter and EMT and he towers over all of us, I think this is where my sons are headed and like my cousins only one of my sons has this need for mass amounts of food.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Stick with nutrition, high fiber foods, like beans, hummus, brown rice, lentils, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2009